Meaty, hearty goodness. Cook it for your family!
How To Make Red Beans and Rice with Ham Hocks and Kielbasa Sausage
- 1 lb. red kidney beans
- 6 ham hocks
- 14 cup water divided
- 2 1/2 cup celery fine chop
- 2 cup onion fine chop
- 2 cup green bell pepper fine chop
- 5 bay leaves
- 2 tsp white pepper
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp tabasco sauce
- 1 lb. kielbasa cut diagonally into 1 inch pieces
- 4 1/2 cup hot cooked rice
- Cover the beans with water 2 inches above the beans. Let stand overnight. Drain before using. Or cover with water, bring to a boil, remove from heat and let stand covered for 1 hour.
- Place the ham hocks, 10 C. of water, the celery, onions, bell pepper, bay leaves and seasonings in a 5 1/2 quart saucepan. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce the heat and simmer until meat is tender, about 1 hour. Remove the ham hocks and set aside.
- Add drained beans and 4 C. of water to the pan. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer 1 hour, stirring often. Stir in kielbasa and simmer until the beans start to break up, approximately 30 to 45 minutes.
- Scrape the bottom of the pan often to ensure that the beans are not sticking. Remove the meat from the ham hocks and add to the beans and sausage. Stir and cook 10 minutes more or until ham is heated through.