Chicken and dumplings is a soup dish that is made by cooking a chicken in water, added with spices, herbs, vegetables, and topped by boiling some homemade dough in the chicken broth. The result is a flavorful and nourishing soup! Popularly known as comfort food in the South and the Midwest United States, the dish also has its roots as a French Canadian meal.
If you are searching for the easiest and most reliable chicken and dumplings recipe, here you have it! In just 30 minutes, you can easily prepare the dumplings from scratch that’s boiled in scrumptious chicken soup! There is also a Hungarian alternative, the Farina dumpling soup recipe, which uses wheat cereal to make the dumplings. We assure you, it’s equally delicious!
Moreover, they are among the most comforting and delicious meals that you can make in just less than an hour! Using your pressure cooker, you can make this dish easily and quickly, which is perfect if you want a nutritious and satisfying meal but don’t have enough time to prepare.
How To Make Pressure Cooker Chicken and Dumplings
Make your favorite healthy and flavorful stew that can satisfy both your belly and tastebuds with just your pressure cooker!
- Make the dumplings by sifting together the flour, salt, and baking powder. Set aside.
- Combine both the eggs and milk and whisk until evenly incorporated.
- Gradually add the sifted flour mixture until combined, forming a mass of dough.
- In the pressure cooker, combine the chicken, vegetables, stock, and thyme.
- Bring the chicken broth in the pressure cooker to a boil and gently drop tablespoon-sized pieces of dough into the broth. You can do this by using a spoon, or by hand-rolling small servings by hand.
- Once all the pieces have been added, lock the lid and bring it to high pressure over high heat.
- Lower the heat so that the pressure level will stabilize. Cook for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes, release the pressure quickly and keep under low heat.
- Season the soup with salt and ground black pepper. Adjust accordingly and serve while warm!
- Sugar: 4g
- Calcium: 147mg
- Calories: 267kcal
- Carbohydrates: 30g
- Cholesterol: 80mg
- Fat: 8g
- Fiber: 2g
- Iron: 2mg
- Monounsaturated Fat: 3g
- Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g
- Potassium: 354mg
- Protein: 18g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Sodium: 564mg
- Trans Fat: 1g
- Vitamin A: 5271IU
- Vitamin C: 4mg
Frequently Asked Questions
How do you determine when dumplings are cooked well?
To test, run a toothpick or a skewer through a dumpling. If it comes out clean, then it’s cooked well.
Is chicken and dumplings supposed to be soupy?
When you let the dumplings cook through, the flour in the dumplings will help to thicken the soup. So avoid adding thickening ingredients like cornstarch or else your chicken and dumplings will become too thick.
ConclusionThis chicken and dumplings recipe will surely satisfy both your appetite and healthy food needs! If you’re looking for a tasty soup that can be done in less than an hour, then this recipe is perfect for your meal plans!
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!