Tender, juicy, and beautifully grilled, this chicken recipe will be an instant favorite! No need to leave your own house for restaurant-quality fire grilled chicken.
How To Make Copycat Pollo Loco Fire Grilled Chicken
To prepare chicken:
Butterfly the chicken with a pair of kitchen shears by cutting all the way down both sides of the backbone.
- Once you have sliced down both sides of the backbone, remove it from the chicken.
- Position the chicken so that the drumsticks are pointing away from you and use a paring knife to slice through the white cartilage at the top of the breastbone.
- Bend the carcass of the chicken back at the cut and the breastbone will pop out.
- Run your fingers down both sides of the breastbone to pull it away from the meat, then pull it out.
- Remove any excess fat found inside the carcass, and your chicken is ready for marinating.
To Make the Marinade:
Combine all of the remaining ingredients in a large bowl.
Place the chicken in a 3½ to 4-qt. container with a lid and pour the marinade over the top.
- Cover and marinate for 48 hours in the refrigerator.
- Move the chicken around in the marinade a couple of times while it marinates.
To cook chicken:
Preheat your grill to medium/low heat.
Place the chicken, starting skin-side up on the grill. Cook for 2 hours.
Flip the chicken over after 1 hour and continue for the final hour.
Use a large knife to separate the chicken into 8 pieces: 2 drumsticks, 2 wings, 2 thighs, and 2 breasts.
- Serve with tortillas and your choice of beans, rice, and salsa.
- Sugar: 3g
- Calcium: 52mg
- Calories: 315kcal
- Carbohydrates: 8g
- Cholesterol: 71mg
- Fat: 24g
- Fiber: 1g
- Iron: 2mg
- Potassium: 290mg
- Protein: 19g
- Saturated Fat: 12g
- Sodium: 1820mg
- Vitamin A: 198IU
- Vitamin C: 14mg
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!