How to Make Coconut Custard With Black Rice Pudding
Made from glutinous rice and coconut milk, this unique sweet black rice pudding is topped with a silky coconut custard for a stunning Thai dessert.
- Rinse rice under cool water until water runs clear.
- Place rice in large bowl and soak in water overnight.
Drain and place rice and 5 cups water in a medium-sized saucepan, bring to boil, reduce heat, and simmer covered for 20 minutes.
- Drain rice.
Place 1 cup coconut milk, ⅓ cup palm sugar, and ⅛ teaspoon salt in a saucepan and stir over medium heat until the sugar has dissolved.
Return rice to the pan and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand 15 minutes.
To make the custard, combine remaining coconut milk, sugar, and salt in a small saucepan and heat over medium-low until the sugar has dissolved, stirring often.
- Gently beat eggs in bowl and then stir into coconut mixture.
- Pour mixture into 6 ramekins or similar sized heatproof bowls.
Place ramekins on a flat steamer tray such as bamboo; cover and steam over 3-inch of simmering water for 15 minutes, or until set.
Let cool and then chill in the refrigerator until ready to serve. It’s best to let custard sit at room temperature for a few minutes before serving.
- To serve, scoop out custard and place on top of bowls of black rice.
Serve and enjoy.
- If you have a small steamer, you can do this in batches, making sure to add more water after the first batch.
- You can also try using a roasting or baking pan filled with about 1-inch of hot water that is placed in a 325 degrees F oven in lieu of a steamer.
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!