How to Make Coconut Custard With Black Rice Pudding
Made from glutinous rice and coconut milk, this unique sweet black rice pudding is topped with a silky coconut custard for a stunning Thai dessert.
- Rinse rice under cool water until water runs clear.
- Place rice in large bowl and soak in water overnight.
- Drain and place rice and 5 cups water in a medium-sized saucepan, bring to boil, reduce heat, and simmer covered for 20 minutes.
- Drain rice.
- Place 1 cup coconut milk, ⅓ cup palm sugar, and ⅛ teaspoon salt in a saucepan and stir over medium heat until the sugar has dissolved.
- Return rice to the pan and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand 15 minutes.
- To make the custard, combine remaining coconut milk, sugar, and salt in a small saucepan and heat over medium-low until the sugar has dissolved, stirring often.
- Gently beat eggs in bowl and then stir into coconut mixture.
- Pour mixture into 6 ramekins or similar sized heatproof bowls.
- Place ramekins on a flat steamer tray such as bamboo; cover and steam over 3-inch of simmering water for 15 minutes, or until set.
- Let cool and then chill in the refrigerator until ready to serve. It’s best to let custard sit at room temperature for a few minutes before serving.
- To serve, scoop out custard and place on top of bowls of black rice.
- Serve and enjoy.
- If you have a small steamer, you can do this in batches, making sure to add more water after the first batch.
- You can also try using a roasting or baking pan filled with about 1-inch of hot water that is placed in a 325 degrees F oven in lieu of a steamer.
- Sugar: 12g
- Calcium: 44mg
- Calories: 404kcal
- Carbohydrates: 43g
- Cholesterol: 124mg
- Fat: 23g
- Fiber: 1g
- Iron: 4mg
- Potassium: 289mg
- Protein: 8g
- Saturated Fat: 19g
- Sodium: 193mg
- Trans Fat: 1g
- Vitamin A: 180IU
- Vitamin C: 1mg
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!