A hearty meal – just like mother used to make!
How To Make Mum's Bacon & Onion Roll
- 8 oz self-rising flour
- 4 oz shredded suet
- 8 oz streaky bacon
- 1 medium-sized onion finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- black pepper
- 1 12x12-inch square butter muslin (cloth)
- Mix the flour, salt, and suet. Then add water to form a workable pastry.
- Roll the pastry into a rectangle approx. 10 inches wide. Then cut the bacon into small pieces and lay it on top of the pastry. Sprinkle it with onion and black pepper.
- Form the pastry into a cylinder shape and wrap it in muslin. Tie each end with thread and sew it along the seam until it is sealed.
- Place the pastry in a slow cooker leaving enough room for turning. Then fill the slow cooker with hot water and cook for 6-8 hours on low heat.
- Place the slow cooker on high for the last hour. Then turn the pastry a couple of times while cooking. Remove the muslin and serve your rolls with some gravy and vegetables of your choice.
- Bon apetit!