How To Make Mexican Lentil Soup
A bowl of Mexican lentil soup is a delicious pick-me-up dinner for a weeknight. It’s loaded with veggies that everyone will enjoy.
- 2tbspolive oil
- 1½cupsyellow onion1 medium, chopped
- 1½cupsyellow bell pepper1 medium, chopped
- 1¼cupscarrots2 medium, peeled and diced
- 1jalapeñoseeds discarded, chopped, optional
- 1½tbspgarlic4 cloves, minced
- 7cupsvegetable brothlow-sodium, then more as desired
- 29ozfire roasted tomatoescan
- 1¼cupsbrown lentilsrinsed and picked over
- 1tbspancho chili powder
- 2tspground cumin
- ½tspground coriander
- black pepperfreshly ground
- 1tbsplime juicefresh
- 2cupsTortilla stripsor crumbled tortilla chips
- ½cupcotija cheesecrumbled, or Mexican blend shredded cheese
Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add in onion, bell pepper, carrots, and jalapeno and saute for 2 minutes.
Add garlic and saute 2 minutes longer. Stir in broth, tomatoes, lentils, chili powder, cumin, and coriander, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Bring mixture to a boil then reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring just a few times throughout cooking, for about 45 minutes until lentils are tender.
Stir in cilantro and lime juice.
Serve warm, topping each serving with tortilla strips, avocados, and cotija cheese.
- Calories: 500.09kcal
- Fat: 23.20g
- Saturated Fat: 4.58g
- Trans Fat: 0.01g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 12.77g
- Polyunsaturated Fat: 4.18g
- Carbohydrates: 61.69g
- Fiber: 14.31g
- Sugar: 8.44g
- Protein: 17.43g
- Cholesterol: 10.00mg
- Sodium: 1498.17mg
- Calcium: 193.64mg
- Potassium: 1266.26mg
- Iron: 4.94mg
- Vitamin A: 337.81µg
- Vitamin C: 79.33mg
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!