A recipe from across the seas now easily made in your own home. If you are looking for a new pork dish to try, this schweinshaxe recipe will offer you just that.
How To Make Schweinshaxe German Pork Knuckle and Sauerkraut
Savor this German delicacy called schweinshaxe in a crockpot. Enjoy a super crispy pork knuckle with sauerkraut for a total German dinner night experience!
- In a small mixing bowl, mix all your dry rub ingredients together. Set aside.
- Score the skin of the pork knuckles diagonally to form a diamond pattern.
- Rub your dry rub all over the pork knuckles then place this into a container.
- Cover, and set aside in a chilled area. Allow it to marinate for at least 6 hours, best if overnight.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine beef broth, sauerkraut, dark beer, and tomato paste. Mix until evenly incorporated.
- Place your onions, garlic, and bay leaves at the bottom of the crockpot.
- Place your pork knuckles on top, then pour your sauerkraut mixture onto the pork.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.
- Towards the end of slow cooking your pork, preheat your oven to 400 degrees F and grease a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Once your pork knuckles are cooked, drain and place this onto your greased baking sheet.
- Roast for roughly 35 minutes until the skin of your pork knuckles turns crispy.
- Skim off your garlic and bay leaves. Discard, then transfer the contents into a skillet.
- Heat over medium heat and bring to a boil. Continue boiling for roughly 20 minutes until the liquid has reduced by ½ its original content.
- Season with salt and pepper and adjust accordingly.
- Once your pork knuckles are crispy, serve immediately with roughly ¼ cup each of sauerkraut and the potatoes.
- Sugar: 7g
- Calcium: 105mg
- Calories: 648kcal
- Carbohydrates: 18g
- Cholesterol: 152mg
- Fat: 51g
- Fiber: 5g
- Iron: 5mg
- Monounsaturated Fat: 23g
- Polyunsaturated Fat: 4g
- Potassium: 549mg
- Protein: 44g
- Saturated Fat: 20g
- Sodium: 3033mg
- Trans Fat: 1g
- Vitamin A: 175IU
- Vitamin C: 25mg
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!