How To Make Chipotle Carne Asada (Copycat)
With a blend of flavorful spices, this Chipotle carne asada copycat promises a well-seasoned grilled skirt steak with a hint of tang from some lime juice.
- ½cupolive oil
- 4jumbo garlic cloves,smashed
- 1tbspwhole cumin seeds
- 4chipotle chili peppers,in adobo sauce, canned
- ¼cuplime juice,freshly squeezed
- 2tbspmaple syrup,or honey
- 1tbspsoy sauce,reduced sodium
- 1tbspkosher salt
- 2tspground coriander
- 2tspchipotle chili powder
- ½tspSaigon cinnamon
- ¼tspground cloves
- ½cupfresh cilantro leaves,packed
For Carne Asada:
- 2lbsskirt steak,cut into 3 large pieces
- ¼cupolive oil
- 2tbsplime juice,freshly squeezed
- 2tbspfresh cilantro,chopped
Heat up 1 tablespoon of oil in a small skillet over medium-high heat. Roast the smashed garlic for 1 minute, stirring constantly, then add the whole cumin seeds and toast for 1 minute. Remove from the skillet and allow to cool.
Add the chipotle chili peppers, wet ingredients, dry spices, and fresh cilantro to a food processor and blitz for a few seconds, then slowly pour in the remaining oil while the processor is running. There should be 1 cup of marinade.
Place the skirt steak side by side in a large zip-top bag, then pour in the marinade. Squeeze out the excess air, then seal it shut.
Massage the steak, then place it on a cutting board and refrigerate for a minimum of 2 hours to a maximum of 24 hours. Flip the bag occasionally as it marinates.
Allow the steak to warm up to room temperature for roughly 30 minutes. Brush the oil on a cast iron grill pan and place it over medium-high heat for roughly 2 minutes until the oil is shimmering.
Carefully place 1 of the skirt steaks on the grill with tongs and sear the outside of the meat for 1 minute, then turn down the heat to medium and cook for 2 more minutes.
Flip and cook for 3 minutes. Skirt steak is thin, so it cooks fast. Check the doneness using a meat thermometer; the internal temperature should be 135 degrees F for rare or 145 degrees F for medium-rare. Repeat with the other steaks.
Allow the 3 steaks to rest on a large cutting board tented with foil for at least 10 minutes.
Thinly slice the skirt steak against the grain, then drizzle the lime juice and cilantro on top.
Serve and enjoy.
- Chipotle serves their carne asada in long, thin strips, but feel free to slice the strips into shorter lengths for use in burritos and tacos.
- For the most tender results, grill to medium-rare.
- Char some parts of the steaks for the best flavor.
- Tent the steaks with foil and allow to rest to keep them juicy, then thinly slice the meat.
- Calories: 433.88kcal
- Fat: 35.17g
- Saturated Fat: 8.55g
- Trans Fat: 0.78g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 21.79g
- Polyunsaturated Fat: 2.93g
- Carbohydrates: 7.90g
- Fiber: 1.21g
- Sugar: 4.53g
- Protein: 23.70g
- Cholesterol: 73.71mg
- Sodium: 634.74mg
- Calcium: 34.92mg
- Potassium: 435.31mg
- Iron: 3.03mg
- Vitamin A: 236.67µg
- Vitamin C: 29.21mg
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!