How To Make Vegan Ham
Going meat-free? Enjoy this vegan ham recipe that uses chickpeas and spices to make a guilt-free dish with all the signature ham flavors.
- Add chickpeas, vegetable stock, sesame oil, soy sauce, tomato paste, nutritional yeast, smoked paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, liquid smoke and red gel food coloring to the food processor and process until smooth.
- Transfer to a mixing bowl and add vital wheat gluten. Mix briefly until roughly mixed.
- Now get in there with your hands and knead for a minute to a minute and a half, until the dough is soft but firm.
Form the mixture into a ham shaped ball and wrap tightly with foil.
Place into a steamer basket over a pot of boiling water, or a steamer, and steam for 1 hour.
Remove from the steamer and allow to cool at room temperature for 20 minutes.
- While the ham is cooling prepare the glaze by adding light brown sugar and vegetable stock to a measuring jug and mixing until the sugar has dissolved.
- Add toasted sesame oil, smoked paprika, maple syrup and soy sauce and whisk together until well mixed.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- When the ham has cooled remove it from the foil. Use a sharp knife to make shallow cuts across the top of the ham from one corner to the other. Then repeat, going from the other corner to corner, leaving a criss cross pattern.
- Place the ham into a non stick baking dish. Pour ⅓ of the glaze over the top and use a brush to brush it in well, making sure that the glaze is covering the ham.
- Bake for 25 minutes, bringing it out at the 10 minute mark and again at the 20 minute mark to pour over another ⅓ of the glaze each time and brush it in again.
- When the ham has finished roasting, remove it from the oven and allow it to cool slightly at room temperature. The glaze will thicken as it cools. Use the brush to scoop up the glaze from the bottom of the dish and brush onto the top of the ham again.
Serve with a drizzle of glaze from the bottom of the pan over the top and some fresh chopped parsley.
Leftover glaze from the bottom of the roasting pan can be scooped up and placed into a jug to be served alongside the sliced ham.
- Sugar: 25g
- Calcium: 108mg
- Calories: 400kcal
- Carbohydrates: 48g
- Fat: 13g
- Fiber: 7g
- Iron: 5mg
- Monounsaturated Fat: 5g
- Polyunsaturated Fat: 6g
- Potassium: 504mg
- Protein: 26g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Sodium: 914mg
- Vitamin A: 2561IU
- Vitamin C: 2mg
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!