Mezcal margarita is an impressive way to spruce up your margarita routine. At first, I was a bit skeptical about trying this cocktail. You see, tequila margarita has always been my personal favorite. I can’t help but wonder: can you use mezcal instead of tequila in your margarita? Will it taste just as good? After just one sip of this cocktail with mezcal, all my questions were answered. Let’s just say I was blown away by this margarita drink!
Mezcal margarita is both refreshing and smoky. That’s because mezcal, deemed the smoky-flavored cousin of tequila, lends a strong smoky taste to cocktails. Simply put, the classic margarita recipe just gets revamped with a smoky spin that’s almost effortless to make. And it’s probably the best margarita variation and one of the best mezcal cocktails I’ve ever tried!
For my mezcal margarita recipe, I used the basic ingredients like orange liqueur and lime juice. I prefer using Cointreau for my homemade drink, but feel free to use any brand you like. Seriously, the taste of mezcal just mingles harmoniously with the tart lime juice and bitter-sweet Cointreau. Combined, they create one of the best mezcal cocktail recipes for happy hours!
Curious how to make margaritas with mezcal? It’s easy. I simply combined the mezcal, lime juice, and Cointreau into the cocktail shaker. While the agave syrup is optional, I highly suggest that you add even just a tiny bit after shaking up the ingredients. And don’t forget to salt the rim! When sweetened with the syrup and served with a salted rim, I found each sip of this mezcal margarita cocktail sublime.
Here’s my verdict: if you have a bottle of mezcal in your bar and you love margaritas, I highly recommend this homemade margarita recipe. I think you’ll love it! You can also spice it up by adding a few slices of jalapenos when you mix the drink. I’m telling you, spicy mezcal margarita hits the perfect balance of smoky, sweet, and hot. For serving, cut a lemon wedge and hang it over the edge of the glass.
How To Make Mezcal Margaritas
Jazz up your favorite margarita cocktail with this mezcal margarita recipe. Mezcal margaritas are tart and sweet with hints of smoky notes.
For the salt rim:
- lime wedge, for rimming the glass, optional
- salt, for rimming the glass, optional
For the cocktail:
- 1½ oz mezcal
- 1 oz Cointreau, (or any orange liqueur)
- ¾ oz lime juice, freshly-squeezed
- ½ tsp agave nectar, for sweetening, optional (or simple syrup)
- Run a lime wedge around the rim of a glass until wet with juice.
- Fill a shallow bowl with salt.
- Then, dip the rim until covered with the desired amount of salt. Set aside.
- Add mezcal, lime juice, and Cointreau to a cocktail shaker.
- Shake or stir until combined.
- Taste and then stir in the agave or simple syrup until the mix reaches the desired level of sweetness.
- Fill the salt-rimmed glass with ice.
- Pour in the margarita mixture over the rocks.
- Garnish with an extra lime wedge if desired.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
- Calories: 171.55kcal
- Protein: 0.15g
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!