How To Make Rasgulla
This rasgulla recipe is a milk based Indian dessert. Soft and spongy milk balls glazed in sugar syrup and garnished with aromatic saffron.
Prep: 25 mins
Cook: 15 mins
Total: 40 mins
- 4 cups milk, full fat or whole milk
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 4 cups ice water
For Sugar Syrup:
- 1½ cups refined white sugar, plus ¼ cup optional
- 4 cups water
- 3 green cardamom pods, or elaichi
- 1⁄2 tsp rose water
- 1 pinch saffron , (optional) kesar for garnishing
To Make Chenna:
- In a pot, add milk and simmer on low. Add lemon juice and stir until milk curdles. When milk has curdled switch off the heat and rest for 2 minutes.
- Pour cold water into the pot to stop cooking. Place a cloth lined colander over a large bowl. Drain the curdled milk. Tie cloth and squeeze to remove excess whey. Leave it to hang for 1 to 1½ hours to remove more whey.
To Make Sugar Syrup:
- Add sugar, cardamom, and water in a wide pan or a large pot. Stir to dissolve sugar and bring to boil. Set heat to low. Taste sugar syrup and add ¼ cup sugar if preferred.
- Make sure you use a wide pot large enough to hold all the rasgullas. It will double in size.
To Make Rasgullas:
- Knead chenna to make a smooth ball of dough for 3 to 5 minutes. Do not over knead. Take small portions of dough and roll into tiny balls. This recipe will make about 16 pieces.
- Add rose water to the sugar syrup if preferred and available.
- Bring the sugar syrup to a rolling boil on medium heat. Remove cardamom pods and add balls into the pot gently. Cover pot with a lid. Keep the syrup boiling on constant heat.
- Cook for 9 to 10 minutes. The syrup must be bubbling and boiling steadily throughout this time. Adjust heat as needed. 5 minutes into the cooking gently stir sugar syrup with a skewer without touching the rasgullas. Cover. Lower heat if necessary to prevent burning.
- After 10 minutes remove the pot from the heat. Let it rest with the lid on for 20 minutes to prevent rasgullas from shrinking.
- Allow rasgulla to rest and cool completely. Garnish with saffron strands and ladle ¾ cup of sugar syrup on rasgullas. Serve.
- Sugar: 19g
- Calcium: 71mg
- Calories: 98kcal
- Carbohydrates: 20g
- Cholesterol: 7mg
- Fat: 2g
- Fiber: 1g
- Iron: 1mg
- Monounsaturated Fat: 1g
- Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g
- Potassium: 88mg
- Protein: 2g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Sodium: 26mg
- Vitamin A: 88IU
- Vitamin C: 1mg
Submit Your Own Recipe
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!