How To Make Purin (Japanese Pudding)
Whip up a quick and easy treat with this purin recipe. This Japanese custard pudding is made with simple and pantry-accessible ingredients.
For Custard Base:
- 400 ml milk
- 3 large eggs
- 60 g sugar
- 1⁄2 tsp vanilla essence
For Caramel Sauce:
- 70 g sugar
- 50 ml water
Place the sugar and water in a small saucepan over medium heat until the sugar has dissolved.
Keep cooking over medium heat until the sugar and water mixture turns into a beautiful amber colour.
- Turn the heat off and pour the sauce into 4 pudding molds.
Place milk in a jug and microwave for 1½ minutes to heat the milk up.
- Add the egg, sugar and vanilla essence into a mixing bowl and whisk all together.
- Add warm milk into the egg mixture gradually and stir to combine them all together.
- Strain the custard base using a sieve or strainer.
Divide and pour the custard mixture into the 4 pudding molds on top of the caramel sauce.
Place the molds in a shallow frying pan and add about 750 to 1000-milliliter water over high heat.
Bring it to boil then turn the heat down to low, wrap the pan lid in a dry towel and put the lid on and leave it to simmer for 3 to 5 minutes.
Turn the heat off and leave it for 15 minutes. Do not open the lid.
- Take the molds out of the frying pan and allow them cool down.
- Refrigerate the molds for at least 1 hour.
- Serve it on a plate.
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!