With just a few ingredients, you can bake up your own batch of amazingly light and crisp macaron cookies at home. Enjoy the pastries on their own, or sandwich a dollop of your favorite frosting or jam between two of them.
How To Make Five-Ingredient Macarons Recipe
- 1 ⅔ cup powdered sugar
- 1 ⅓ cup almond flour
- 4 egg whites extra-large
- 1/8 tsp. sea salt
- 1/4 cup icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Line large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar and almond flour until well-mixed, then set aside.
- In another medium-sized mixing bowl, use an electric mixer set to medium speed to beat the egg whites and salt until bubbles start to form.
- Increase speed to high and gradually add the icing sugar until stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold the almond flour mixture into the egg whites. If desired, gently stir in a few drops of a food coloring of your choice.
- Spoon meringue into a large plastic resealable bag with the tip of one end cut off.
- Pipe disks of meringue onto the prepared baking sheets, making sure to evenly space the cookies across the sheet.
- Let the cookies stand at room temperature for 15 minutes until their glossy shine is gone.
- Bake for about 15 minutes until macarons are firm and their surfaces have dried.
- Let cookies cool completely before peeling off the parchment paper.
- If desired, spread half of the macarons with frosting or jam of choice, and top each cookie with a remaining macaron. Cover and chill for at least 2 hours to let the cookies soften.