How To Make Passion Fruit Cake
Treat yourself to a fluffy dessert with this passion fruit cake. This yummy dish is made with passion fruit syrup and Swiss buttercream.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease 3 8-inch round cake pans and line bottom with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream together butter and sugar until smooth. Add eggs and mix on medium speed until well incorporated.
Add vanilla and sour cream and mix until combined. Scrape down the bowl as needed to ensure thorough mixing.
Add flour mixture in 3 additions, alternating with milk. Begin and finish with flour mixture. Mix until just combined and there are no longer any dry streaks of flour.
Divide batter evenly among the prepared cake pans. Level batter using a mini offset spatula or the back of a spoon. Bake for 28 to 30 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
Cool cakes in pan for 5 minutes. Then, run a mini offset spatula around the cake and unmold it. Cool cake to room temperature on wire rack.
Passion Fruit Syrup:
- Mix together passion fruit pulp and simple syrup. Set aside until ready to use.
In the bowl of a stand mixer, whisk together egg whites and sugar. Place over a pot of simmering water to create a bain-marie or double boiler. Make sure the simmering water does not touch the bottom of the bowl.
Whisk the mixture until it reaches a temperature of 160 degrees F.
Return bowl to stand mixer. Using the whisk attachment, beat the mixture at medium speed until it has cooled to room temperature and the meringue has started to form.
Reduce to low speed. Add butter 1 tablespoon at a time. Add salt. Increase speed to medium-high and continue to beat until buttercream is light and fluffy.
Fit a piping bag with a small round tip. Fill bag with about ½ cup of buttercream. Set aside.
Level cake layers as necessary. Place 1 cake layer on a serving platter or cake turntable. Brush or drizzle passion fruit syrup over the cake. Spread a thin layer of buttercream over the cake layer using a small offset spatula.
- Use the filled piping bag, pipe a double border of buttercream along the perimeter of cake round. This will serve as barrier when curd is added.
- Add ⅓ cup of passion fruit curd to center of cake. Spread to fill within the buttercream boundaries. Place second cake layer on top. Repeat soaking cake, adding buttercream, and curd.
- Place final third layer on top. Soak cake layer with syrup. Spread buttercream all around the cake to create a "crumb coat" layer to seal in any crumbs. Chill cake in the fridge for 20 minutes to set frosting.
- Keep cake chilled until ready to serve. Rest cake at room temperature for about 30 minutes before slicing and serving to soften buttercream frosting.
If desired, coat chilled cake with additional buttercream. Use a small leaf piping tip to pipe a decorative border on top of cake.
- Sugar: 129g
- Calcium: 1052mg
- Calories: 6384kcal
- Carbohydrates: 202g
- Cholesterol: 1681mg
- Fat: 621g
- Fiber: 48g
- Iron: 9mg
- Monounsaturated Fat: 160g
- Polyunsaturated Fat: 26g
- Potassium: 2783mg
- Protein: 41g
- Saturated Fat: 388g
- Sodium: 966mg
- Trans Fat: 22g
- Vitamin A: 25173IU
- Vitamin C: 139mg
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!