A pavlova is a fresh fruit pie with a meringue crust. The deluxe in this recipe refers to the passion fruit, which can be pricey. Passion fruit is a round, purple fruit resembling a kiwi, but larger. When ripe it appears shriveled. You can also use kiwi, about 8, instead of passion fruit.
How To Make Pavlova Deluxe
Crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside, Pavlova is a dessert you can serve with some whipped cream and juicy fruits. For this recipe, we'll be using passion fruit for that deluxe flavor.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Grease interior of 8-inch springform pan and dust lightly with cornstarch.
Beat egg whites, preferably in a glass or ceramic bowl, until peaks are stiff and glossy. Make sure egg whites have absolutely no contact with grease (fresh or residual), or even a speck of yolk.
Combine cream of tartar, white sugar, and cornstarch; gradually beat into the egg whites.
- Sprinkle vinegar over egg white mixture, then fold it in very gently.
- Pile meringue into prepared pan. Spread to the sides leaving a slight depression in the center.
- Place in preheated oven.
Close the oven door, and immediately turn oven down to 250 degrees F.
Bake for 75 to 90 minutes. Open oven door, but leave meringue in the oven for 15 more minutes.
- Remove meringue to a draft free spot.
Very carefully remove rim of springform pan, and allow meringue to cool completely. There may be a slight sinking in the center.
- Carefully remove meringue from pan base, and place on serving platter.
- Whip cream, vanilla extract, and confectioners' sugar until thick and firm.
- Gently spread over the meringue.
- Remove the pulp from the passion fruit, and spoon over cream.
- If using kiwi, peel and slice the fruit; arrange slightly overlapping slices in a pleasing design.
- Chill until serving time.
- Calcium: 6mg
- Calories: 147kcal
- Carbohydrates: 28g
- Cholesterol: 10mg
- Fat: 3g
- Potassium: 50mg
- Protein: 3g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Sodium: 41mg
- Sugar: 26g
- Vitamin A: 109IU
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!