Come Halloween my family and I would get out the carving knives and start carving our pumpkins. Of course we would save the seeds from the pumpkin to later throw in the oven and snack on for later. We decided this year to try something different and add some spices to the seeds. Here is what we came up with and they were delicious!
How To Make Sweet and Spicy Pumpkin Seeds
- 1 medium pumpkin
- 5 tbsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- Pinch cayenne pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 tbsp peanut oil
- Heat your oven to 250 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut the pumpkin open from the bottom, removing seeds with a long-handled spoon.
- Separate the flesh from the seeds and reserve the flesh for later use (see pumpkin pie recipe).
- The pumpkin should yield 1 cup of seeds. Spread the seeds on the parchment paper in an even layer. Bake them in the oven for 1 hour until they dry. Then let them cool afterward.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine 3 tbsp. of sugar, salt, cumin, cinnamon, ginger, and cayenne. Set aside for the moment.
- In a medium bowl combine 3 Tbs. sugar, salt, cumin, cinnamon, ginger, and cayenne.
- Heat the peanut oil in a large nonstick skillet over high heat.
- Add in the pumpkin seeds to the skillet as well as the remaining 2 tbsp. of sugar. Cook for about 45 to 60 seconds until the sugar melts and the pumpkin seeds begin to caramelize.
- Transfer the contents of the skillet to the medium-sized bowl with spices and stir well for even coating.
- Let the bowl cool. You may also store the contents in an airtight container for up to 1 week. Enjoy!