How To Make Hawaiian SPAM Tacos with Pineapple
Turn canned meat into delicious, filling SPAM tacos packed with cabbage and pineapples for a fresh, tropical twist. Top with spiced guacamole for some kick!
For Habañero Guacamole (Optional Add-on):
- 1habañero pepper,seeded, minced
- ¼cupred onion,minced
- 1lime,juice only
- 2large avocados,ripe
- ½tbspolive oil
- 12ozSPAM,(1 container), sliced into matchsticks
- 2cupsfresh pineapple,chopped
- 1red pepper,sliced into matchsticks
- ½green cabbage head,(about 2 cups), shredded
- 4ozqueso fresco,crumbled
- 1cupsour cream
- fresh cilantro,garnish
- 12small flour tortillas
In a medium bowl, combine the minced habañero, red onion, cilantro, lime juice, and salt. Mash together with a fork.
Add in the ripe avocados and mash until the guacamole comes together. *
In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add the olive oil and SPAM strips. Cook for about 10 minutes, until strips start to get crispy and browned, stirring occasionally.
Remove strips from the skillet and add the pineapple and red peppers. Continue to cook for another 6 to 8 minutes until red peppers soften slightly and the pineapple starts to turn tan in spots.
Add strips back to skillet and toss to combine. Keep warm until serving.
Warm the tortillas by wrapping them in damp paper towels and microwaving them for 10 seconds. Then, add a smear of sour cream and/or guacamole to each tortilla.
Top with a handful of shredded cabbage, 2 to 3 strips of crispy SPAM, and seared pineapple and red pepper.
Garnish the taco with queso fresco and cilantro. Serve while warm, and enjoy!
- *Some chunks are good, but the guac should be creamy and dippable. Guacamole can be made a day in advance. To store it, place plastic wrap directly on the surface of the guacamole to slow oxidation and refrigerate.
- Calories: 1002.60kcal
- Fat: 58.82g
- Saturated Fat: 18.46g
- Trans Fat: 0.25g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 28.37g
- Polyunsaturated Fat: 6.98g
- Carbohydrates: 92.53g
- Fiber: 17.16g
- Sugar: 21.80g
- Protein: 33.52g
- Cholesterol: 113.25mg
- Sodium: 1973.01mg
- Calcium: 527.86mg
- Potassium: 1742.29mg
- Iron: 6.99mg
- Vitamin A: 259.37µg
- Vitamin C: 197.84mg
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!