How To Make Super Moist Spice Cake
Rich, moist, and delectable, this spice cake is the perfect fall treat, packed with flavors from nutmeg, cinnamon, and topped with a cream cheese frosting!
- 2½cupsall-purpose flour,spoon and leveled
- 2tspbaking powder
- 1tspbaking soda
- 1½tspground cinnamon
- 1tspground ginger
- ½tspground nutmeg
- ½tspground cloves
- 1cupvegetable oil
- 1¾cupdark brown sugar,packed
- 1cupunsweetened applesauce
- 4large eggs
- 2tsppure vanilla extract
- 1cupapple,or carrot, or zucchini, shredded
For Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 8ozblock cream cheese,full-fat, softened to room temperature
- ½cupunsalted butter,softened to room temperature
- 3cupsconfectioners’ sugar,plus an extra ¼ cup if needed
- 1tsppure vanilla extract
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and grease a 9×13-inch pan.
Whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and other spices together in a large bowl. Set aside.
Whisk the oil, brown sugar, applesauce, eggs, vanilla extract, and molasses together in a medium bowl.
Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and whisk until combined.
Fold in the shredded apple until combined.
Spread batter into the prepared pan.
Bake for 45-50 minutes. Baking times vary.
The cake is done when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
If the top of the cake is browning too quickly in the oven, loosely cover it with aluminum foil.
Remove the cake from the oven and set it on a wire rack.
Allow to cool completely.
To speed things up, place the cake in the refrigerator after about 45 minutes.
In a large bowl using a handheld or stand mixer fitted with a paddle or whisk attachment, beat the cream cheese and butter together on high speed until smooth and creamy.
Add the 3 cups of confectioners’ sugar, vanilla, and salt.
Beat on low speed for 30 seconds, then switch to high speed and beat for 2 minutes.
Spread the frosting on the cooled cake. Refrigerate for 30 minutes before serving to help set the frosting and make cutting easier.
Cover the leftover cake tightly and store in the refrigerator for 5 days.
- For a thicker frosting, add the extra ¼ cup of confectioners’ sugar.
- Make-Ahead and Freezing Instructions: Prepare the cake just through until before frosting. Cover the cake tightly and refrigerate for up to 2 days or freeze up to 3 months. Bring to room temperature, make the frosting, frost, and serve. Frosted cake freezes well for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator, bring to room temperature, or serve cold.
- Calories: 636.94kcal
- Fat: 34.74g
- Saturated Fat: 10.32g
- Trans Fat: 0.46g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 17.70g
- Polyunsaturated Fat: 4.19g
- Carbohydrates: 77.09g
- Fiber: 1.39g
- Sugar: 54.92g
- Protein: 6.11g
- Cholesterol: 103.13mg
- Sodium: 388.82mg
- Calcium: 117.64mg
- Potassium: 164.61mg
- Iron: 2.04mg
- Vitamin A: 161.07µg
- Vitamin C: 4.74mg
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!