How To Make Zucchini Tomato Quiche
Deliciously fresh and filling, this zucchini tomato quiche has a rich center made with sour cream and cheese, plus a crisp brown crust.
For the Crust:
- 1all butter crust pie dough,rolled out and lining a 9- or 10-inch pie plate
For the Filling:
- 2tbspextra virgin olive oil
- 1cupshallots or spring onions,sliced
- ½lbzucchini,about 1½ cups shredded
- 4large eggs,room temperature
- ⅓cupsour cream
- 1tspdried herbs de Provence,or Italian herb blend
- 10basil leaves,sliced
- 1tbspfresh parsley,chopped
- ½tspblack pepper
- 1cupparmesan cheese,(3 oz) packed, shredded
- 10cherry tomatoes,halved or quartered
Heat oven to 350 degrees F. If using a homemade pie crust*, freeze it for at least 30 minutes.
Line the inside of the crust with heavy-duty aluminum foil. Fill the pie crust to the top with pie weights—either sugar, dry rice, or dry beans.
Bake for 50 minutes. Remove from oven, remove foil and pie weights from the crust.
Grate the zucchini using the large holes of a box grater. Set the grated zucchini in a mesh sieve set over a bowl to drain off excess moisture.
Heat olive oil in a skillet on medium heat. Add the sliced shallots or spring onions and toss to coat with the oil.
Lower the heat to low and cook gently for several minutes, occasionally stirring. Once softened and lightly browned, remove from heat.
Beat the eggs in a large bowl. Whisk in the milk, cream, and sour cream. Whisk in the dried herbs de Provence, the fresh sliced basil leaves, chopped parsley, salt, and pepper.
Stir in the grated Parmesan cheese and the grated zucchini.
Spread cooked shallots over the bottom of the pre-baked shell. Pour the zucchini filling mixture on top.
Arrange cut cherry tomatoes on the top of the filling, pushing each one in about halfway.
Bake for 45 to 55 minutes at 350 degrees F until set in the center. If the edges of the crust* look like they might get too browned, tent them with foil or a pie protector.
Remove from oven when the center of the quiche has set and the top is lightly browned. Let it cool completely before serving.
- If using a store-bought crust, defrost it and skip the pre-baking, or partially-pre-bake it using the instructions for pre-baking on the package.
- If using a store-bought crust that is more shallow than a homemade crust, the quiche will cook more quickly.
- Calories: 327.50kcal
- Fat: 24.25g
- Saturated Fat: 9.87g
- Trans Fat: 0.01g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 9.73g
- Polyunsaturated Fat: 3.21g
- Carbohydrates: 15.09g
- Fiber: 1.78g
- Sugar: 3.10g
- Protein: 12.85g
- Cholesterol: 125.73mg
- Sodium: 428.66mg
- Calcium: 290.86mg
- Potassium: 267.85mg
- Iron: 1.82mg
- Vitamin A: 164.01µg
- Vitamin C: 10.95mg
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!