How To Make Stuffed Sicilian Bread
This cheesy stuffed sicilian bread is a tasty fried bread, filled with a creamy four-cheese filling, tender artichokes, and more, for a more savory snack!
- 1large Italian bread loaf,crusty
- 1tbspolive oil
- 4large shallots,chopped
- 2garlic cloves,minced
- salt,to taste
- 1pinchground black pepper,or to taste
- 8ozricotta cheese,(1 container)
- 4ozmozzarella cheese,shredded
- 4ozparmesan cheese,shredded, plus 1 tbsp
- 4ozromano cheese,shredded
- 1cupfresh basil leaves,torn
- ½cupfresh parsley,chopped
- 6ozburgundy olives,(1 can), drained
- 1cupkalamata olives,drained, pitted
- ½cuplarge green olives,garlic stuffed, drained
- 14ozartichoke hearts,(2 cans), water packed, drained, cut into eighths
- 1red pepper,drained, cut into thin strips, roasted
- 1tbspolive oil,or as needed
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Remove the top of the bread loaf to create a long boat-shaped loaf. Pull out much of the soft bread to form a shell inside the crust. Reserve the chunks of bread, then break into evenly sized medium pieces.
Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Cook and stir the shallots for 3 or 4 minutes until softened.
Add the garlic, then cook for about 1 more minute, until fragrant.
Transfer the reserved bread pieces to the skillet. Add salt and pepper. Cook and stir for about 2 minutes until the bread has absorbed some of the olive oil. Remove from heat.
Place the ricotta, mozzarella, 4 ounces of parmesan, and romano cheeses in a mixing bowl. Add the basil and parsley, then mix well.
Transfer bread mixture to the bowl. Stir in the burgundy olives, kalamata olives, green olives, artichoke hearts, and red pepper strips. Add a pinch of pepper, then mix well.
Place the bread shell on a rimmed baking sheet, and drizzle the inside with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Fill with the cheese mixture, then top with 1 tablespoon of shredded parmesan cheese.
Bake in the oven for 20 to 30 minutes, until the loaf begins to get crisp and the filling is bubbly,
Serve warm, and enjoy!
- Calories: 487.46kcal
- Fat: 25.49g
- Saturated Fat: 10.97g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 11.15g
- Polyunsaturated Fat: 1.98g
- Carbohydrates: 43.33g
- Fiber: 7.34g
- Sugar: 5.21g
- Protein: 23.67g
- Cholesterol: 51.45mg
- Sodium: 1309.20mg
- Calcium: 585.83mg
- Potassium: 509.07mg
- Iron: 4.67mg
- Vitamin A: 161.94µg
- Vitamin C: 34.10mg
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!