The secret to making a great gumbo is cooking each component separately. The dish can be made ahead, then assembled just before serving
How To Make Chicken and Seafood Gumbo
This take on the tasty gumbo recipe makes use of chicken breasts and seafood along with the blend of spices which goes well with the assortment of vegetables in this dish.
- Put onion, celery, parsely and 1 clove garlic through Cuisinart or chop.
- Cook onion, celery, parsley and garlic together in 4 tbsp. butter until vegetables are tender; set aside.
- Sauté shallots lightly in 2 tbsp. butter in separate skillet; lift out shallots and reserve.
- Brown chicken breasts on both sides in shallot butter.
- Cook chicken and cut into fairly large pieces, preferably same size as scallops.
- Melt 2-3 tbsp. butter in separate skillet; press remaining garlic in melted butter; add thyme.
- Sauté' shrimp lightly in garlic butter until they begin to turn pink; lift out.
- Lightly brown scallops in remaining butter; set aside.
- Combine onion-parsley mixture with tomatoes, salsa and chicken stock; simmer over low heat, uncovered, until flavors "marry" and volume is slightly reduced.
- 30 minutes before serving, reheat tomato-vegetable stock with chicken.
- Add okra and seafood; cook 5-8 minutes before serving, making certain gumbo is piping hot.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Delicious over hot, steaming rice!
- Sugar: 7g
- Calcium: 354mg
- Calories: 725kcal
- Carbohydrates: 16g
- Cholesterol: 714mg
- Fat: 26g
- Fiber: 3g
- Iron: 6mg
- Potassium: 1629mg
- Protein: 103g
- Saturated Fat: 12g
- Sodium: 2634mg
- Vitamin A: 1779IU
- Vitamin C: 33mg
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!