How To Make Mediterranean Raw Squash Pasta Salad
This pasta salad has a Mediterranean twist to it. Couscous, chickpeas, raw squash, and a lemony dressing all make for a bold and fresh dish.
- 1⅓cupswhole wheat Israeli couscousor any other small pasta shape, you’ll need about 3 cups cooked
- ⅓cupPine nuts
- ⅓cupextra-virgin olive oil
- 4tbsplemon juiceto taste, from 1 to 2 lemons
- 1largeshallotfinely chopped, about ½ cup
- 2garlic clovespressed or minced
- ½tspfine sea saltto taste
- black pepperfreshly ground, to taste
- 15ozchickpeasrinsed and drained, or 1½ cups cooked chickpeas
- 2cupsgrape tomatoesor cherry, quartered
- 4ozfeta cheesecrumbled, ½ cup
- ⅓cupKalamata olivespitted and thinly sliced
- 1mediumzucchinisliced into super thin rounds
- 1smallyellow squashsliced into super thin rounds
- 1/3cupfresh basilchopped, or flat-leaf parsley
Cook the couscous until al dente, according to package directions. Drain off any excess water.
Meanwhile, toast the pine nuts: In a large skillet over medium-low heat, warm the pine nuts until they’re turning lightly golden on the sides and fragrant. Transfer to a bowl to cool.
In a large serving bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, shallot, garlic, salt and several twists of black pepper until combined.
Add the couscous to the bowl and toss to coat with the dressing.
Top the couscous with the toasted pine nuts, chickpeas, tomatoes, feta, olives, zucchini and squash, and basil. Stir to combine.
Season with salt and pepper to taste, and add an extra tablespoon or two of lemon juice if it needs more brightness.
For the best flavor, refrigerate for 30 minutes before serving.
This salad will keep well, covered and refrigerated, for up to 4 days.
- Calories: 681.19kcal
- Fat: 26.83g
- Saturated Fat: 5.50g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 12.67g
- Polyunsaturated Fat: 6.16g
- Carbohydrates: 89.44g
- Fiber: 13.67g
- Sugar: 12.30g
- Protein: 25.10g
- Cholesterol: 16.82mg
- Sodium: 452.49mg
- Calcium: 193.70mg
- Potassium: 1116.36mg
- Iron: 5.30mg
- Vitamin A: 68.57µg
- Vitamin C: 28.28mg
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!