How To Make Herb and Cheese-Stuffed Chicken Thighs
1 hr 20 mins
- 3/4 cup fresh breadcrumbs from a crusty bakery loaf
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese freshly grated
- 1/3 cup asiago cheese or provolone cheese
- 1/4 cup flat leaf Italian parsley coarsely chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh rosemary chopped fine
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme chopped fine
- 1 tsp lemon zest optional, finely grated
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 tsp salt plus additional salt for finishing the thighs
- black pepper freshly ground, to taste
- 8 chicken thighs boneless skin-on, 5 oz. each
- Heat the oven to 450 degrees and adjust a rack to the center position. In a medium bowl combine the breadcrumbs, Parmesan, asiago, parsley, rosemary, thyme, optional zest, egg, salt and pepper and mix with your hands until well combined.
- Place a chicken thigh skin side down on a work surface. Grab approximately1/4 C. stuffing and gently squeeze in the palm of your hand to form a cohesive cigar-shaped lump and place in the center of the thigh. Pull up the meat of either side and fasten with either a couple of lengths of kitchen string or a wooden skewer that has been cut in half. You should assemble the thighs so the elongated stuffing lump fits in the same general direction and space as the removed bone. Repeat with the remaining thighs and stuffing.
- Place the stuffed thighs skin side up on a rimmed baking sheet and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Roast until the thighs are crisp and golden brown and a thermometer inserted into the thickest part reaches 165 degrees, 30-35 minutes.
- If you have made the thighs ahead and are roasting them directly from the refrigerator you may need to allow for an extra five minutes or so. Let cool for five minutes, cut away the kitchen string or remove the skewers and serve immediately.
Calories: 339kcal | Carbohydrates: 8g | Protein: 24g | Fat: 23g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 141mg | Sodium: 411mg | Potassium: 282mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 403IU | Vitamin C: 4mg | Calcium: 161mg | Iron: 2mg