No need to eat out at P.F. Chang’s, this Japanese favorite is surprisingly easy to whip up in your own kitchen. This dish is perfect for a delicious appetizer or meal. You can also try this dish with other meats or vegetables of your choice.
How To Make P.F. Chang's Crispy Shrimp Vegetable Tempura Copycat
Whip up this P.F. Chang\’s crispy shrimp vegetable tempura recipe. Scrumptious shrimp and seaweed deep fried in light batter until golden and crispy.
- 1 lb shrimp, extra-large, peeled with tail left on, deveined, washed
- Seaweed , sliced thin, dried, desired amount
- Sweet potato, sliced thin, desired amount
- Broccoli, cut into florets, desired amount
- 6 cups canola oil
- 1 cup sesame oil
- 2½ cups cake flour
- 3 eggs
- Ice water, as needed
- Club soda, about 1-2 tbsp, as needed
- Soy sauce, for serving
- Prep shrimp and vegetables. Place them in bowls for easy access when frying.
- Heat oil in a large pot to 350 degrees F. Prepare a baking sheet with foil and line with paper towels.
- Beat an egg in a measuring cup and add ice water to make ¾ to 1 cup. Add to a mixing bowl and add ¾ cup cake flour.
- Mix with a pair of chopsticks or a butter knife. The batter will be lumpy so don't over-stir. Add club soda and quickly stir.
- Dry the shrimp and vegetables with a paper or dish towel. This will help the batter stick better.
- Dip shrimp and vegetables into the batter, one piece at a time. Remove excess batter by shaking then add to hot oil, being very careful not to burn yourself.
- Fry about 5 to 8 pieces at a time for about 2 to 4 minutes or until golden and crispy. For the dried seaweed, it will need less time.
- Use a slotted spoon to turn them over when necessary and to remove them from the oil. Place on a prepared baking sheet to allow excess oils to be removed.
- If you need more batter, make it as you need it so that it remains cold throughout.
- Serve immediately with soy sauce.
- Sugar: 1g
- Calcium: 195mg
- Calories: 788kcal
- Carbohydrates: 57g
- Cholesterol: 409mg
- Fat: 45g
- Fiber: 2g
- Iron: 4mg
- Potassium: 214mg
- Protein: 37g
- Saturated Fat: 5g
- Sodium: 930mg
- Vitamin A: 178IU
- Vitamin C: 5mg
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!