How To Make Sous Vide Short Ribs
This recipe for sous vide short ribs gives you perfectly juicy and tender meat. You'll be sure to impress with this restaurant-worthy dish.
- 3 lb beef short-ribs, (flanken or english cut)
- 2 tbsp high smoke point oil, (grape seed, peanut, or canola)
- 1 tbsp butter
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
For Bouquet Garni:
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 sprigs of thyme
- 3 sprigs of parsley, tied together
- 2 cup red wine
- 2 cup beef stock
- 1 shallot
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp black peppercorns
- 1 star anise
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp butter
- ½ xantham gum, optional
Set Anova Sous Vide Precision Cooker to 131 degrees F.
- Trim the excess fat from the short-ribs and sprinkle the short-ribs liberally with salt.
- Heat a cast iron pan on medium until it is smoking. Add oil to the pan and sear the ribs on all sides until golden brown.
- After searing give the short ribs a generous crack of black pepper and place into the ziploc or vacuum bag. Add garlic, herbs, and 1 tbsp of butter to the bag.
- Place into the water bath and sous vide for 48 hours.
After time as elapsed, remove the bag from the water bath and place in large bowl of ice water. At this point, it is possible refrigerate the ribs until ready to serve, up to 4 days.
Add olive oil to the pan used to sear the ribs. Dice the shallot and sauté until soft. Deglaze the pan with the wine and add the beef stock. Add the sugar, bay leaf, peppercorns, and star anise to the pan and reduce by ¼.
Strain the solids out of the mixture, return to pot and continue to reduce until 3/4 of the liquid is gone. Whisk in the xanthan gum (optional) and and the butter.
Continue whisking until smooth and the fat from the butter has emulsified into the sauce. Adjust the seasoning with salt and sugar. Set aside.
An hour before dinner, preheat the oven to 225 degrees F, remove the ribs from the bag and pat dry with paper towels.
Place the ribs on a rack on a sheet tray and glaze with sauce. Place into the oven to gently heat up, glazing them every 10 minutes until the internal temperature of the ribs reach 131 degrees F.
Serve short ribs with sauce, and choice of sides. Pairs perfect with a mashed potato and veggie!
- Sugar: 8g
- Calcium: 56mg
- Calories: 689kcal
- Carbohydrates: 13g
- Cholesterol: 147mg
- Fat: 37g
- Fiber: 1g
- Iron: 7mg
- Monounsaturated Fat: 18g
- Polyunsaturated Fat: 4g
- Potassium: 1314mg
- Protein: 50g
- Saturated Fat: 13g
- Sodium: 504mg
- Vitamin A: 390IU
- Vitamin C: 1mg
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!