How To Make Sweet Potato Enchilada Soup
A skinny version of the Mexican classic enchilada soup, this Sweet Potato Enchilada Soup is made with sautéed veggies submerged in a chicken tomato broth.
Heat oil in a large stockpot over medium-high heat. Sauté for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until softened. Add garlic and sauté for about 1 to 2 minutes, stirring occasionally, until fragrant.
Add the chicken stock, enchilada sauce, beans, diced tomatoes, green chiles, sweet potatoes, cumin, and stir to combine. Continue cooking until the soup reaches a simmer, then reduce the heat to medium-low to maintain the simmer. Cover and simmer for about 10 to 15 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are tender.
Stir in the cheese until it has completely melted. Taste and season the soup with extra salt and pepper, if needed.
Serve warm, loaded up with any choice of toppings, and enjoy!
- This soup can be refrigerated in food storage containers for up to 3 days or frozen for up to 3 months.
- For a thicker soup, make a roux by increasing the amount of oil used in Step 1 to 2 tablespoons. Then before you add in the chicken stock, add 3 to 4 tablespoons of flour (or masa harina) to the sautéed veggies. Stir to combine and cook for 1 more minute, stirring occasionally. Then add the chicken stock and continue with the recipe. (Or just add a cornstarch slurry to the soup once it has begun simmering — 2 tablespoons cornstarch mixed with 2 tablespoons cold water.)
- Omit the cheese for a vegan version.
- Calories: 453.56kcal
- Fat: 13.47g
- Saturated Fat: 6.22g
- Trans Fat: 0.33g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 4.29g
- Polyunsaturated Fat: 1.25g
- Carbohydrates: 61.56g
- Fiber: 12.96g
- Sugar: 11.18g
- Protein: 23.52g
- Cholesterol: 31.62mg
- Sodium: 876.71mg
- Calcium: 314.12mg
- Potassium: 1382.13mg
- Iron: 4.40mg
- Vitamin A: 710.20µg
- Vitamin C: 46.07mg
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!