How To Make Coconut Beer-Battered Shrimp
For Seasoning Mix:
- cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp salt
- 2 1/4 tsp sweet paprika
- 1 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 3/4 tsp dried thyme
- 3/4 tsp dried oregano
- 3/4 tsp vegetable oil for deep frying
For Breading Mix:
- 2 eggs
- 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup beer
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 48 medium shrimp peeled, deveined, leave tails on
- 3 cup coconut grated
- To make seasoning mix, thoroughly combine the ingredients for the seasoning mix in a small bowl and set aside.
- Mix 1 1/4 C. of the flour, 2 tsp. of the seasoning mix, baking powder, eggs, and beer together in a medium bowl, breaking up all lumps until it is smooth.
- Combine the remaining flour with 1 1/2 tsp. of the seasoning mix and set aside.
- Place the coconut in a separate bowl. Sprinkle both sides of the shrimps with the remaining seasoning mix. Then hold shrimp by the tail, dredge in the flour mixture, shake off excess, dip each in batter and allow excess to drip off.
- Coat each shrimp with the coconut and place the shrimp on a baking sheet.
- Heat deep fryer to 350 degrees. Drop each shrimp into the hot oil and cook until golden brown, about 30 seconds to 1 minute on each side.
- Do not crowd the fryer! Drain on paper towels and serve immediately, as is, or with a dipping sauce or fruit preserve.
Calories: 381kcal | Carbohydrates: 31g | Protein: 14g | Fat: 23g | Saturated Fat: 19g | Cholesterol: 132mg | Sodium: 1341mg | Potassium: 277mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 336IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 167mg | Iron: 4mg