How To Make Chicken and Avocado Enchiladas
Whip up this easy to make and delicious baked avocado enchiladas made with juicy chicken, and an easy-to-make avocado cream sauce!
- 2tbspolive oil
- 1medium white onion,or yellow, peeled, thinly sliced
- 2poblano peppers,stemmed, thinly sliced
- 1jalapeno pepper,finely diced, remove seeds for less heat
- 10flour tortillas,6-inch
- 4cupschicken,shredded, cooked
- 3cupsMonterrey Jack cheese
For Avocado Cream Sauce:
- 2cupschicken broth
- ¾cupsour cream
- ½tspgarlic powder
- 2California avocados,peeled. pitted
- ½cupcilantro,fresh, chopped
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Grease a 9×13-inch baking dish.
In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion, poblano, and jalapeno, and saute for 5 to 6 minutes until the onions are cooked and translucent.
Remove from heat.
Avocado Cream Sauce:
Melt the butter in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the flour, whisking for about 2 to 3 minutes until golden and bubbly.
Slowly whisk the broth into the flour mixture. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 5 minutes.
Stir in the sour cream, cumin, salt, garlic powder, and pepper, whisking if necessary to remove any lumps.
Remove from heat and transfer mixture to a blender or food processor.
Add the avocados, cilantro, and lime juice, and pulse until smooth and well-blended.
Be very careful blending hot liquids as the heat will expand. Be sure to remove the lid occasionally so that the heat can escape.
Season with additional salt or pepper, if needed.
Place a tortilla on a flat surface. Spread 1 or 2 tablespoons of the avocado sauce down the middle of the tortilla.
Then layer on some of the vegetable mixture, shredded chicken, and cheese.
Carefully roll the tortilla and place it seam side down in the baking dish. Repeat with the remaining tortillas.
Drizzle the top with about half of the remaining avocado cream sauce.
Cover the dish with foil and bake for about 20 minutes, or until the tortillas are heated through and begin to harden.
Remove from the oven, then serve individual enchiladas drizzled with the remainder of the avocado cream sauce.
Garnish with additional cilantro, cheese, and/or sour cream.
- To give some extra flavor to the chicken in this recipe, season the chicken with a few pinches of chili powder and cumin in addition to the salt and pepper.
- Optional garnishes to use for this recipe are fresh cilantro, sour cream, and shredded cheese.
- Calories: 737.67kcal
- Fat: 48.89g
- Saturated Fat: 19.26g
- Trans Fat: 0.19g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 20.63g
- Polyunsaturated Fat: 5.74g
- Carbohydrates: 42.67g
- Fiber: 5.66g
- Sugar: 5.17g
- Protein: 33.78g
- Cholesterol: 117.20mg
- Sodium: 902.80mg
- Calcium: 520.14mg
- Potassium: 676.23mg
- Iron: 3.84mg
- Vitamin A: 204.29µg
- Vitamin C: 39.55mg
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!