Running out of Christmas treats? This holiday spice bread recipe is a real winner! Give it as a gift to your family and friends or serve it up on the side with dinner.
How To Make Holiday Spice Bread
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar packed
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups buttermilk or sour milk (2 cups milk + 2 tbsp white vinegar, let stand 5 minutes before using)
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp apricot brandy optional
- 4 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp allspice
- 1 tsp cloves
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup walnuts chopped
- Cream sugar, brown sugar and eggs together.
- Add oil, vanilla, and brandy. Mix together.
- In a separate bowl, sift flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice and cloves.
- Add the dry ingredients to the egg mixture alternately with buttermilk. Stir in raisins and walnuts.
- Pour the batter into greased, 1-pint, wide-mouthed canning jars with perfectly straight sides, a little more than half-filled.
- Place filled jars on a cookie sheet. Bake in a preheated oven, 350 degrees, for 40 to 45 minutes or until tested done like a cake.
- Cool for 10 minutes in the jars. Remove from jars and cool for 15 minutes on racks.
- Wrap each loaf in plastic wrap while still warm. Finish cooling on racks.
- Serve once cooled or freeze if you are making them ahead of time.
Calories: 447kcal | Carbohydrates: 81g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 32mg | Sodium: 313mg | Potassium: 276mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 37g | Vitamin A: 106IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 112mg | Iron: 3mg