How To Make Perfect Popcorn
Prepare the perfect movie snack with this easy popcorn recipe. Cooked over the stovetop, these snacks are tossed in butter for a simple but classic finish.
Heat the oil in a 3-quart thick-bottomed saucepan on medium-high heat. If using coconut oil, allow all of the solid oil to melt.
Put 3 or 4 popcorn kernels into the oil. Wait for the popcorn kernels to pop. When the kernels pop, add the rest of the ⅓ cup of popcorn kernels in an even layer.
Cover the pot, remove from heat and count 30 seconds*.
Return the pan to heat. The popcorn should begin popping soon, and all at once. Once the popping starts in earnest, gently shake the pan by moving it back and forth over the burner.
Once the popping slows to several seconds between pops, remove the pan from the heat, remove the lid, and dump the popcorn immediately into a wide bowl.
If adding butter, melt it by placing the butter in the now empty, but hot pan. Just drizzle the melted butter over the popcorn and toss to distribute.
Sprinkle the popcorn with salt to taste. Or add more toppings such as Spanish smoked paprika, nutritional yeast, cayenne powder, chili pepper, curry powder, cumin, grated Parmesan cheese.
Serve and enjoy!
- *This method first heats the oil to the right temperature, then waiting 30 seconds brings all of the other kernels to a near-popping temperature so that when they are put back on the heat, they all pop at about the same time.
- Tip: As the popcorn pops, try to keep the lid slightly ajar to let the steam from the popcorn release (the popcorn will be drier and crisper).
- Tip: Let the butter get just a little bit brown, it will add an even more intense, buttery flavor to the butter and to the popcorn.
- Calories: 75.44kcal
- Fat: 6.76g
- Saturated Fat: 5.36g
- Trans Fat: 0.06g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 0.72g
- Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.27g
- Carbohydrates: 3.70g
- Fiber: 0.64g
- Sugar: 0.05g
- Protein: 0.56g
- Cholesterol: 3.82mg
- Sodium: 27.62mg
- Calcium: 0.69mg
- Potassium: 14.13mg
- Iron: 0.15mg
- Vitamin A: 12.14µg
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!