How To Make Sopa De Tortilla
Savor a fiesta of Mexican flavors in this sopa de tortilla or tortilla soup. Cook it up with pasilla chile peppers & chicken bouillon.
- vegetable oil, as needed
- 12 corn tortillas, (6-inch) cut into strips
- 3 dried pasilla chile peppers, seeded
- 2 tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- ½ large onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic
- ¼ tsp dried oregano
- 4 cups water
- 4 tsp chicken bouillon granules
- 1 fresh parsley sprig
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted, and diced
- ¾ cup cotija cheese, diced
- 2 tbsp crema fresca , fresh cream, optional
Heat oil in a large pan or wok over medium-high heat. Add tortilla strips in batches and fry for 2 to 3 minutes per batch until brown and crispy. Remove from heat and drain on paper towels.
Fry pasilla chiles in the same pan, being careful not to burn them, for 2 minutes per batch until browned. Remove from oil and drain on paper towels.
- Combine 1 fried pasilla pepper, tomatoes, onion, garlic, and oregano in a blender; blend until smooth. Strain through a sieve into a bowl.
Heat 1 teaspoon of oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add tomato mixture and cook for 2 minutes. Pour in water and bring to a boil. Stir in chicken granules and parsley. Cover and simmer over low heat for about 15 minutes until flavors are well combined. Remove from heat and discard parsley.
- Divide fried tortilla strips among 4 bowls. Pour soup on top of tortilla strips and garnish with diced avocado and cotija cheese. Cut remaining fried pasilla peppers into thin strips and sprinkle over soup. Add Mexican crema to each bowl.
Serve and enjoy.
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!