How To Make Penne Arrabbiata with Flaked Cod
This penne arrabbiata is cooked in rich tomato sauce with red pepper flakes for some heat. It comes with simmered fish to add savor to this pasta dish.
- ¼cupolive oil
- 3cupscanned crushed tomatoes in thick puree,(one 28-oz can)
- 1large tomato
- ½tspdried red-pepper flakes
- 1lbcod fillet
- 3tbspfresh parsley,chopped
In a large saucepan, heat the oil over moderate heat. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
Add the canned tomatoes, fresh tomato, salt, and red-pepper flakes and bring to a simmer. Simmer the sauce for about 30 minutes until thick.
Add the cod and 2 tablespoons of parsley to the sauce.
Bring back to a simmer and continue simmering for 1 to 2 minutes until the fish is just done.
Break the fish into small pieces with a spoon
Meanwhile, in a large pot of boiling, salted water, cook the penne for about 13 minutes until just done. Drain.
Toss with the sauce. Top the pasta with the remaining tablespoon of parsley.
- Variation: To make this dish without a trip to the fish market, substitute two 6-ounce cans of drained tuna for the cod. Stir it into the tomato sauce and warm for about a minute before tossing it with the pasta.
- Tips: To peel the fresh tomato quickly, make double use of the pasta-cooking water. Bring a pot of water to a boil, core the tomato, and drop it into the water for fifteen seconds. Using a slotted spoon, remove the tomato from the water, peel, and chop it. Then, the boiling water is ready for the pasta.
- Calories: 701.61kcal
- Fat: 16.59g
- Saturated Fat: 2.42g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 10.25g
- Polyunsaturated Fat: 2.57g
- Carbohydrates: 100.14g
- Fiber: 7.69g
- Sugar: 12.10g
- Protein: 38.49g
- Cholesterol: 48.76mg
- Sodium: 1080.60mg
- Calcium: 114.75mg
- Potassium: 1367.98mg
- Iron: 4.66mg
- Vitamin A: 62.99µg
- Vitamin C: 27.39mg
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!