How To Make Air Fryer Cauliflower Rice Balls (Arancini)
A new take on the Italian snack Arancini, this air fryer cauliflower rice ball is perfectly crisp and golden. Best served with marinara and cheese!
- 2¾ozItalian chicken sausage link,casing removed
- 2¼cupsriced cauliflower,frozen works great
- ¼tspkosher salt
- 2tbsphomemade marinara,plus optional more for serving
- ½cuppart skim shredded mozzarella
- 1large egg,beaten
- ¼cupbread crumbs,or gluten-free crumbs
- 1tbspgrated pecorino romano,or parmesan
- Cooking spray
Heat a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add the sausage and cook for about 4 to 5 minutes, breaking the meat up with a spoon as it cooks as small as you can.
Add the cauliflower, salt, and marinara. Cook for about 6 minutes on medium heat, stirring until the cauliflower is tender and heated through.
Remove from heat and add the mozzarella cheese to the skillet and stir well to mix. Let it cool for 3 to 4 minutes, until it’s easy to handle.
Spray a ¼ measuring cup with cooking spray and fill with cauliflower mixture, leveling the top. Use a small spoon to scoop out into your palm and roll into a ball. Set aside on a dish.
Repeat with the remaining cauliflower, making 6 balls.
Place the egg in one bowl and the breadcrumbs in another.
Add the parmesan to the crumbs and mix.
Dip the ball in the egg, then in the crumbs and transfer to a baking sheet. Spray the top with cooking spray.
If baking in the oven, bake at 425 degrees F for about 25 minutes, until golden. If making in the air fryer, bake at 400 degrees F for 9 minutes turning halfway until golden.
Serve with marinara sauce, for dipping.
- Add the mozzarella cheese while the cauliflower is still hot so it all melts together. Then let it cool a few minutes before rolling them up into balls.
- To prevent problems with balls sticking to your hands, add a little oil to your hands.
- To make it meatless, swap out the sausage for ⅓ cup of peas and add more salt or Parmesan cheese for flavor.
- To make it gluten-free, replace the breadcrumbs with gluten-free crumbs.
- Calories: 330.90kcal
- Fat: 19.58g
- Saturated Fat: 7.15g
- Trans Fat: 0.07g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 7.13g
- Polyunsaturated Fat: 3.24g
- Carbohydrates: 18.36g
- Fiber: 3.17g
- Sugar: 3.75g
- Protein: 20.83g
- Cholesterol: 156.83mg
- Sodium: 701.65mg
- Calcium: 279.32mg
- Potassium: 524.45mg
- Iron: 2.21mg
- Vitamin A: 94.08µg
- Vitamin C: 58.02mg
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!