Quinoa is a grain that is wheat-free and gluten-free, but is big on taste! The ratio is 2 cups water to 1 cup quinoa (pronounced keen-wah). It has a nutty and earthy flavor. If you pair it with apples, it can be very filling. Not only is it a great alternative to oatmeal, but it’s also good for someone allergic to wheat. Apart from that, you can even use it to substitute your rice meals if you want something more nutritious.
How To Make Breakfast Quinoa
- 2 cup quinoa
- 4 cup water
- 1 cup apples thinly sliced
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- Cream or milk for topping (optional)
- Raisins optional
- Over medium heat, bring water to boil before adding in your quinoa. Let it bring to a boil again. Reduce heat to low and let it simmer for 5 minutes or until 3/4 of the water has been reduced
- Using a wooden spoon, stir in sugar, cinnamon, and apples. Let it simmer for 8 minutes or until the water has been fully absorbed. Note: It is done when seeds are transparant and no longer white and all water is absorbed.
- Serve warm with cream or cold milk. You can even choose to top it with raisins.