Dirty rice is everything but dirty. As a matter of fact, this dish is a Louisiana classic and it’s flavorful and savory. Authentic Cajun dirty rice is known for the small pieces of liver that give the rice a brownish, ‘dirty’ look. Even if you are not a fan of innards, you wouldn’t have to worry, for the liver bits are very finely chopped and mixed into the rice. So you can hardly taste the usual pungent taste of liver, rather, it adds a wonderful aromatic flavor to the rice!
In this dirty rice recipe, we’ll show you how you can make this spicy and flavorful dish in the comfort of your kitchen. All you need to do is dish out your favorite herbs and spices and start cooking. It will only take a few minutes in preparing this undeniably tasty dish. You will be sure that your rice will be tender if you use the crockpot on this one.
Serve this for lunch and dinner and we guarantee that you’ll never get enough of this dish. Add this dirty rice recipe to your treasury of easy-to-prepare meals and wow everyone. If you want to make more rice dishes, try this pork and vegetable stir fry rice recipe.
How To Make Crockpot Dirty Rice
This traditional Creole dirty rice is an explosion of flavors brought by the different herbs and spices.
- In a pan, heat oil over medium-high heat and saute pork for about 5 minutes until golden brown.
- Add onion, celery, and bell pepper. Saute briefly.
- Add cumin, black pepper, paprika, oregano, thyme, cayenne pepper, and garlic into the skillet and mix thoroughly.
- Continue cooking until all the vegetables start to soften. Add the smoked sausage
- Cook for an additional 2 to 3 minutes then reduce heat to medium. Stir in the chicken liver and rice and mix well.
- Sprinkle some salt into the broth. Simmer over medium-high heat, and add bay leaf and Worcestershire sauce.
- Cover the pan tightly and reduce the heat to medium-low. Cook for about 30 minutes until all the liquid is absorbed.
- Add parsley and green onions. Continue cooking until rice is tender.
- Season to taste with salt & pepper. Adjust accordingly
- Remove bay leaf and serve.
- Sugar: 2g
- Calcium: 59mg
- Calories: 391kcal
- Carbohydrates: 56g
- Cholesterol: 155mg
- Fat: 9g
- Fiber: 2g
- Iron: 6mg
- Potassium: 561mg
- Protein: 20g
- Saturated Fat: 4g
- Sodium: 1501mg
- Vitamin A: 5090IU
- Vitamin C: 34mg
Frequently Asked Questions
How many times should I wash the rice?
Washing rice should not be a daunting task in preparing rice-based dishes. A couple of thorough rinses should suffice. The most important thing you have to eliminate is the small debris that were accidentally included. Thoroughly rinsing rice will also help lower the risk of arsenic poisoning.
What makes Andouille sausages different?
If you are not familiar with Andouille sausages, these are basically smoked sausages from France. It is usually made of pork with a spicy flavor. There are some versions of this sausage that use a beef casing for the pork. The Andouille sausages use lean pork, sometimes with innards as well, and a variety of seasonings.
ConclusionDirty rice is a great dish for lunch or dinner and you will absolutely love the simplicity of it. Serve it to your family and friends and we guarantee that they will love it too. Get your hands on some Andouille sausages and some liver. If you weren't a fan of liver before, this dish will surely change your mind.
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!