How To Make Ham Potato Soup
Are you craving a warm and comforting bowl of soup? Look no further than this delicious Ham Potato Soup recipe. Packed with flavor and hearty ingredients, this soup is perfect for a chilly day or when you want to impress your friends and family at a gathering. Let’s get started!
- 2 cups leftover ham, diced
- 4 medium-sized potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the diced onion and minced garlic, sauté for a few minutes until fragrant and golden.
- Add the diced ham and cook for another 3-4 minutes, allowing it to brown slightly.
- Sprinkle the flour over the ham and onion mixture, stirring well to coat everything evenly. Cook for an additional minute to cook out the raw flour flavor.
- Slowly pour in the chicken or vegetable broth, stirring constantly to avoid any lumps. Bring the mixture to a gentle boil.
- Add the cubed potatoes, dried thyme, salt, and pepper. Reduce heat to low and let simmer for about 15-20 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender.
- Pour in the milk and heavy cream, stirring well to combine. Simmer for an additional 5 minutes, allowing the flavors to meld together.
- Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
- Remove from heat and let the soup cool slightly before serving.
Serve this creamy and flavorful Ham Potato Soup with a side of crusty bread or a fresh salad. The combination of tender ham, creamy potatoes, and aromatic spices will surely warm your soul. This recipe is also a great way to use up any leftover ham from the holidays or a Sunday roast. Enjoy the rich and comforting flavors of this homemade soup!
So, why wait? Gather your ingredients and get ready to indulge in a delicious bowl of Ham Potato Soup. It’s easy to make, and the end result is absolutely worth it. This soup will surely become a family favorite and a go-to recipe for any occasion. Give it a try and savor the comforting flavors!
Can I use leftover ham for this soup?
Absolutely! Leftover ham is the perfect ingredient to use in ham potato soup. It adds a deliciously salty and smoky flavor that enhances the overall taste of the soup. Simply dice or shred the leftover ham and add it to the soup during the cooking process.
Can I substitute the potatoes with another vegetable?
While potatoes are a traditional ingredient in ham potato soup, you can certainly substitute them with another vegetable if you prefer. Some great alternatives include sweet potatoes, cauliflower, or even butternut squash. Just keep in mind that the cooking time may vary depending on the vegetable you choose.
How can I make this soup vegetarian-friendly?
To make a vegetarian version of ham potato soup, you can omit the ham and replace it with vegetarian ham or meat alternatives like tempeh, seitan, or tofu. Additionally, you can use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth to make the base of the soup.
Can I make this soup in a slow cooker?
Yes, you can! Making ham potato soup in a slow cooker is an excellent way to save time and let the flavors meld together. Simply add all the ingredients (ham, potatoes, vegetables, broth, and seasonings) to the slow cooker and cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.
Can I freeze ham potato soup?
Freezing ham potato soup is possible, but keep in mind that the texture of the potatoes may change slightly upon thawing. It’s best to freeze the soup without the cream or milk. Once you reheat the frozen soup, you can add the cream or milk to achieve the desired consistency and creaminess.
How long can I store ham potato soup in the refrigerator?
Ham potato soup can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 4-5 days. Make sure to store it in an airtight container to maintain its freshness. When reheating, you may need to add a little extra broth or milk to restore the desired consistency, as the soup may thicken in the fridge.
Can I add other vegetables to the soup?
Absolutely! Ham potato soup can be a great opportunity to add more vegetables to your diet. Feel free to add vegetables like carrots, celery, onions, or leeks to enhance the flavor and nutritional value of the soup. Just make sure to chop them into small, bite-sized pieces for even cooking.