How To Make Chicken Tortellini Soup
Welcome to our delicious recipe for homemade Chicken Tortellini Soup! This hearty and flavorful soup is the perfect comfort food for those chilly evenings. Made with tender chicken, cheesy tortellini, and a medley of vegetables, this soup will surely warm your soul. Follow these simple steps to create a satisfying batch of Chicken Tortellini Soup in no time.
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 package of cheese tortellini
- Fresh parsley, chopped (for garnish)
- In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add diced onion and minced garlic, sauté until fragrant and golden brown.
- Add the chicken breasts to the pot and cook until they are no longer pink in the center. Remove the chicken from the pot and set it aside to cool.
- In the same pot, add the sliced carrots and chopped celery. Sauté for a few minutes until they start to soften.
- Pour in the chicken broth and add the can of diced tomatoes. Stir in the dried oregano, dried basil, salt, and black pepper. Bring the soup to a gentle boil.
- While waiting for the soup to boil, shred the cooked chicken using two forks.
- Add the shredded chicken and cheese tortellini to the pot. Reduce the heat to medium-low and let it simmer for about 10-12 minutes, or until the tortellini is cooked.
- Taste the soup and adjust the seasonings if needed. If the soup seems too thick, you can add more chicken broth or water to achieve your desired consistency.
- Once the tortellini is cooked, remove the pot from the heat. Serve the Chicken Tortellini Soup hot and garnish with fresh chopped parsley for added freshness.
Now, sit back, relax, and enjoy a bowl of comforting Chicken Tortellini Soup. This recipe is perfect for cozy family dinners or as a crowd-pleasing dish for gatherings. The combination of tender chicken, flavorful tortellini, and hearty vegetables will make this soup a new favorite in your household. Give it a try and let your taste buds be delighted!
What is the best type of chicken to use for chicken tortellini soup?
The best type of chicken to use for chicken tortellini soup is boneless, skinless chicken breasts. They are lean, tender, and easy to cook. You can also use leftover cooked chicken or rotisserie chicken for added convenience and flavor.
Can I use store-bought tortellini for this soup?
Absolutely! Store-bought tortellini works great for chicken tortellini soup. Look for refrigerated or frozen tortellini in your grocery store’s pasta section. Choose your favorite variety, such as cheese-filled or spinach and ricotta-filled tortellini.
How can I make the soup extra flavorful?
To enhance the flavor of your chicken tortellini soup, consider adding aromatic ingredients such as onions, garlic, and herbs like thyme or rosemary. You can also incorporate chicken broth or bouillon cubes for a rich base. Don’t forget to season with salt and black pepper to taste.
Can I make this soup vegetarian-friendly?
Yes, you can make a vegetarian version of tortellini soup by omitting the chicken and using vegetable broth instead of chicken broth. Add vegetables like sliced carrots, diced tomatoes, and chopped spinach for a nutritious and satisfying meal.
How long does it take to cook chicken tortellini soup?
Cooking time for chicken tortellini soup can vary depending on the method you choose. If using raw chicken, it usually takes around 20-25 minutes for the chicken to cook through. If using cooked chicken, the soup can be ready in as little as 15 minutes. The tortellini typically cooks quickly, usually within 7-10 minutes.
Can I freeze chicken tortellini soup?
Yes, you can freeze chicken tortellini soup for later consumption. It is best to freeze the soup without the tortellini, as pasta can become mushy during freezing. Store the soup in an airtight container or freezer bags, leaving some room for expansion. When ready to eat, simply thaw the soup and cook fresh tortellini separately before adding it to the reheated soup.
What are some delicious garnishes for chicken tortellini soup?
You can add various garnishes to enhance the presentation and flavor of your chicken tortellini soup. Some popular options include freshly grated Parmesan cheese, chopped fresh parsley, a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil, or a sprinkle of red pepper flakes for a hint of heat. Serve the soup with crusty bread or garlic bread on the side for a complete and satisfying meal.