Pot roast, the ultimate slow food, can simmer all day in a crockpot. This one’s subtle cloves, ginger and apple juice provide a hint of unique Bavarian flavors on a cool day. Enjoy the tender slices of beef and the flavorful gravy during dinner time.
Crockpot Bavarian Pot Roast Recipe
- 4 lb. beef arm or chuck pot roast
- 1 tsp. vegetable oil
- 1 ½ tsp. salt
- pinch pepper
- ½ tsp. ground ginger
- 3 whole cloves
- 4 medium apples cored and quartered (leave skin on)
- 1 small onion sliced
- ½ cup apple juice
- 3-4 tbsp. flour
- 3-4 tbsp. water
- Wipe roast well and trim off all excess fat.
- Lightly rub top of meat with oil.
- Dust meat with salt, pepper and ginger.
- Insert cloves into meat.
- Place apples and onions in bottom of crockpot.
- Put roast on top of the apples and onions.
- Pour in the apple juice.
- Cover and cook on a low setting for 8 to 12 hours.
- Remove the roast and apples to a warm platter when fully cooked.
- Pour the liquid out of the crockpot into a saucepan.
- Drain off as much of the fat as you can.
- Make smooth paste with the flour and water and stir the paste into the liquid.
- Cook liquid over medium heat until thickened, five to ten minutes.
- Serve gravy alongside the sliced roast, apples and onions.
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!