This recipe calls for no-boil noodles for this popular dish- they’re a real time saver. Layer them straight from the package with lots of sauce; as the lasagna bakes and absorbs the liquid, the pasta will soften and expand. If your package contains 15 noodles, use an extra noodle in the first 3 layers when assembling lasagna.
How To Make Classic Lasagna with Meat Sauce
Your classic lasagna recipe that's oozing with a delicious meaty sauce before being smothered in a bed of delicious cheese.
To prepare Meat Sauce:
- Heat 4 quart saucepan over medium high heat until hot.
- Add sausage and ground beef, and cook, stirring, 1 minute.
- Add onion and cook until meat is browned and onion is tender, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally and breaking up sausage with side of spoon.
- Pour off drippings from saucepan.
- Add garlic to meat mixture in saucepan and cook 1 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes with their juice, tomato paste, and salt, breaking up tomatoes with spoon; heat to boiling.
- Reduce heat to medium and cook, uncovered, 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in basil. Makes about 6 cups sauce.
- Meanwhile, in medium bowl, mix egg, pepper, ricotta, 1/2 cup mozzarella and 1/2 cup Parmesan until blended.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Into 13x9-inch glass baking dish, evenly spoon 2 cup sauce.
- Arrange 3 noodles over sauce, making sure noodles do not touch sides of dish (they will expand).
Top with 1 ¼ cups ricotta mixture, 3 noodles, and 2 cups sauce.
- Arrange 3 noodles on top; spread with remaining ricotta mixture.
- Top with remaining noodles and remaining mozzarella and Parmesan.
- If making a day ahead, cover and refrigerate.
- Cover lasagna with foil and bake 30 minutes (1 hour if refrigerated) or until hot and bubbly.
- Let lasagna stand 10 minutes for easier serving.
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!