Excite the kids with this yummy campfire treat. Whip up a batch of these smore cupcake recipe at your next picnic.
How To Make S’More Cupcakes
- 7 whole graham crackers (coarsely chopped (do not use boxed graham cracker crumbs))
- 1 cup sour cream
- 18.25 oz plain German chocolate cake mix
- 3.4 oz vanilla instant pudding mix
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
For Marshmallow Frosting:
- 13 oz marshmallow creme
- 3 tbsp sour cream
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 Hershey’s milk chocolate bars (broken into 24 small pieces)
- Place rack in center of oven and preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Line 24 cupcake cups with paper liners.
- Set pans aside.
- Place 1 scant Tbs. of chopped graham cracker crumbs in the bottom of each liner. Set aside.
- Reserve the remaining graham cracker crumbs for garnish. Set aside 3 Tbs. of the sour cream for the frosting.
- Place the cake mix, pudding mix, remaining sour cream, water, oil and eggs in a large mixing bowl.
- Blend with an electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds.
- Stop the machine and scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula.
- Increase the mixer speed to medium and beat 2 minutes more, scraping down the sides if needed.
- The batter should look thick and well-combined. Fold in the chocolate chips, making sure they are well distributed throughout the batter.
- Spoon or scoop 1/4 C. batter into each lined cupcake cup, filling it 2/3 of the way. (You will get between 22 and 24 cupcakes; remove the empty liners, if any.) Place the pans in the oven.
- Bake the cupcakes until they spring back when lightly pressed with your finger, 19-22 minutes.
- Remove the pans from the oven and place them on wire racks to cool for 5 minutes.
- Run a dinner knife around the edges of the cupcake liners; lift the cupcakes from the bottoms of the cup with the end of the knife and pick them out of the cup carefully with your fingertips.
- Place them on a wire rack to cool 15 minutes before frosting.
- Carefully remove the liner from each cupcake, taking care that the graham cracker crumbs don’t fall off, before frosting them.
- Place a heaping Tbs. of frosting on each cupcake and with a metal short spatula or spoon, swirl to spread it out, taking care to cover the tops completely.
- Garnish with the reserved chopped graham crackers and a piece of milk chocolate and serve.
- To make frosting, remove the lid from the glass jar of marshmallow creme and place the jar in the microwave on high power for 45 seconds.
- With small rubber spatula, scrape the creme out of the jar and into a mixing bowl. Add the sour cream and vanilla extract.
- With an electric mixer, beat the mixture on medium speed until the frosting is fluffy and well- blended, 1 minute.
How To Make S'More Cupcakes
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Farenheit. Grease your cupcake baking pans. Set aside
- We’ll start with the graham cracker crust. In a large bowl, combine graham cracker crumbs, sugar, and melted butter. Mix until evenly coated & place scoops into the cupcake baking pans. For full size cupcakes, place a tablespoon sized scoop of the mixture in the bottom of each baking cup. For mini cupcakes, place 1 teaspoon. Using a glass or end of a rolling pin, press down the graham cracker crumbs until they form a solid crust.
- Bake at 350 F for 5 minutes to allow the base to harden. Cool for 5-10 minutes before filling with cupcake batter.
- Next, lets make the chocolate cupcake batter. In a large bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Set aside
- In another mixing bowl, add the eggs, coffee, buttermilk, vegetable oil, and vanilla extract. Beat or whisk until evenly combined
- Fold in the sifted flour mixture into the beaten egg mixture until evenly incorporated. Batter will be liquidy.
- Fill the graham crusts with 2/3 of the way full and bake for 15-18 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean with a few crumbs. Cool cupcakes to room temperature before frosting.
- Next, we do the frosting. Combine the egg whites and sugar in a heat resistant bowl. Whisk over a double boiler until the sugar is completely dissolved and the egg whites are warm to the touch, about 3-4 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, transfer to a medium mixing bowl, and beat the egg whites until they form stiff, shiny peaks, about 5-8 minutes. Transfer to either a pastry bag or a large sealable plastic bag for easier assembly.
- To assemble the cool cupcakes, pipe the meringue on top of the cupcake. If using the large sealable plastic bag, snip off the corner, and pipe it on top of the cupcakes.
- Using a kitchen torch, lightly toast the marshmallow meringue to resemble a toasted marshmallow. Alternatively, if a kitchen torch is not available, turn the oven onto broil and place the cupcakes on a cookie sheet in the top shelf of the oven. It will only take a minute or two to get a nice toasty marshmallow look, so watch them closely.
- Calcium: 39mg
- Calories: 191kcal
- Carbohydrates: 30g
- Cholesterol: 18mg
- Fat: 7g
- Fiber: 1g
- Iron: 1mg
- Potassium: 94mg
- Protein: 3g
- Saturated Fat: 5g
- Sodium: 171mg
- Sugar: 20g
- Vitamin A: 94IU
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!