Banana cupcakes are a great way to get rid of extra bananas that are overripe. What’s better than banana cupcakes? Banana cupcakes with dark chocolate chunks, of course! There’s something so incredibly comforting about these two ingredients put together. Make a batch and store for an easy grab-and- go breakfast!
How To Make Banana Cupcakes with Dark Chocolate Chunks
- 3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp baking soda
- 1/2 tbsp salt
- 3 eggs beaten
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 4 large ripe bananas mashed
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 8 1/2 oz. dark chocolate roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 8 oz. semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 tbsp instant coffee granules optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cupcake pan with baking cups or use large nut cups. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt. Add the eggs and oil and stir just until the dry ingredients are moistened; do not beat. Stir in the banana, buttermilk and vanilla. Fold in roughly chopped dark chocolate.
- Divide the batter among the cupcake liners and bake for 17 to 23 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow cupcakes to cool COMPLETELY before frosting with ganache (recipe below).
- To make ganache, in a double boiler over simmering water, cook the last three ingredients--heavy cream, chocolate chips, and instant coffee--until smooth and warm, stirring occasionally.
Commonly Asked Questions
What can I substitute buttermilk with?
If you don’t have buttermilk you can substitute it with 1 tablespoon of either white vinegar or lemon juice to 1 cup of milk. Let it stand for 5 mins before adding it into the mixture.
A batch of these will store well in the fridge in an airtight container for 3 to 4 days. However, we doubt they will last that long. This is especially so if you live with other people.
Alternatively, you can make a batch for a potluck and watch how quick they go!