How To Make Old Fashioned Warm Apple Cake
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 13×8-inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves for 20 seconds, set aside. In a separate medium mixing bowl toss apple cubes with lemon juice, set aside.
In the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment whip together granulated sugar, brown sugar, and butter until pale and fluffy.
Mix in eggs one at a time. With mixer set on low speed slowly add in flour mixture and mix just until combined. The batter will be really thick.
Add apples and mix just until combined, with the batter still thick. Pour batter into prepared baking dish and spread into an even layer.
Bake in preheated oven for 33 to 38 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into center comes out free of batter.
Let cool for about 5 minutes then cut into squares.
Brown Sugar Sauce:
In a medium saucepan, combine butter, brown sugar, milk, and salt.
Bring mixture to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Allow to boil for 1 ½ minutes, stirring occasionally.
Let sauce cool slightly. Serve warm with pecans over cake. Enjoy!
- Prepare topping around the last 5 to 10 minutes of baking so they’ll both be served warm.
- When making the brown sugar sauce, you can add a small extra amount of the ingredients if you like more of a salted caramel or toffee flavor.
- We recommend using a blend of tart and sweet apples for this cake. Granny smith, golden delicious, and gala apples are some examples.
- As the sauce sits and cools, the brown sugar will begin to crystalize. Simply microwave it in a large microwave-safe bowl for about 1 minute, until it bubbles, then whisk well.
- Calories: 318.74kcal
- Fat: 15.67g
- Saturated Fat: 8.32g
- Trans Fat: 0.50g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 4.82g
- Polyunsaturated Fat: 1.39g
- Carbohydrates: 43.13g
- Fiber: 1.68g
- Sugar: 28.52g
- Protein: 3.23g
- Cholesterol: 57.74mg
- Sodium: 208.77mg
- Calcium: 55.24mg
- Potassium: 100.41mg
- Iron: 1.18mg
- Vitamin A: 117.08µg
- Vitamin C: 1.78mg
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!