This cake was devised during the Great Depression. During this time, common baking ingredients such as butter, milk, and eggs were scarce. Despite that, even without those ingredients, you can still have a moist and fluffy cake with help from our depression Cake Recipe.
Note: the apple cider vinegar adds a unique bit of flavor. Add a little cinnamon to change it up a bit.
How To Make Chocolate Depression Cake
A cake that's made with eggs, butter and milk yet still comes out moist and perfect. The chocolate flavor just makes your frown turn upside down.
- Sift all dry ingredients together.
- Add water, oil and vanilla.
- Mix until smooth.
- Add apple cider vinegar last and blend thoroughly.
- Pour into ungreased pan right away.
Bake at 375 degrees F for 1 hour or until toothpick or knife comes out clean.
- Cool before frosting if you want to frost.
- Serve with ice cream if desired.
- Sugar: 76g
- Calcium: 29mg
- Calories: 794kcal
- Carbohydrates: 131g
- Fat: 30g
- Fiber: 6g
- Iron: 5mg
- Potassium: 276mg
- Protein: 9g
- Saturated Fat: 23g
- Sodium: 806mg
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!