How To Make Strawberry Oatmeal Bars
These strawberry oatmeal bars serve chewy and tart goodies in under an hour. Plus, you can top them off with a luscious vanilla glaze.
For Strawberry Bars:
- 1 cup rolled oats, old-fashioned, gluten free if needed
- 3⁄4 cup white whole wheat flour, or substitute all-purpose flour or 1:1 baking flour to make gluten free
- 1⁄3 cup light brown sugar
- 1⁄4 tsp ground ginger
- 1⁄4 tsp kosher salt
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter, melted, or substitute melted coconut oil to make vegan/dairy free
- 2 cups strawberries, (about 10 ounces) small-diced, divided
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp lemon juice, (from about ½ small lemon) freshly squeezed
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar, divided
For Optional Vanilla Glaze:
- ½ cup powdered sugar, sifted
- ½ tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp milk, any kind
Place a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 375 degrees F. Line an 8x8-inch baking pan with parchment paper so that the paper overhangs two sides like handles.
In a medium bowl, combine the oats, flour, brown sugar, ginger, and salt. Pour in the melted butter and stir until it forms clumps and the dry ingredients are evenly moistened.
Set aside ½ cup of the crumble mixture, then press the rest into an even layer in the bottom of the prepared pan.
Scatter ½ of the strawberries over the crust. Sprinkle the cornstarch evenly over the top, then sprinkle on the lemon juice and ½ tablespoon of the granulated sugar.
Scatter on the remaining berries, then the remaining sugar. Sprinkle the reserved crumbs evenly over the top.
Bake the bars for 35 to 40 minutes, until the fruit is bubbly and the crumb topping smells toasty and looks golden. Place the pan on a wire rack to cool completely.
In a medium bowl, briskly whisk together the powdered sugar, vanilla, and milk until smooth. Feel free to add more milk if a thinner consistency is desired.
Using the parchment-paper handles, lift the bars from the pan. Drizzle with glaze, slice, and serve.
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!