Frikadellen, also known as frikadeller, buletten, or fleischpflanzln, are seasoned German meat patties made with a combination of beef and pork, soaked day-old white bread, egg, and spices. These kid-friendly meat cakes are widely available in Germany and are a staple snack sold during Oktoberfest. But you don’t have to fly to Europe as you can make it right wherever you are through our easy frikadellen recipe!
Tips on Making Frikadellen
Through the years, people have come up with variations for frikadellen since it’s a pretty versatile dish. Now, we’ll be giving you some good-to-know tips when making your own frikadellen:
- To make the juiciest patties, select ground meat with a good amount of fat. Try to go for at least 30 percent. Using pure lean meat is a healthier option, but it could also dry out easily.
- It’s the bread that makes meat cakes moist after cooking. If you don’t have bread on hand, you can use oats as a substitute. Simply microwave ½ cup of oats with ½ cup milk for 2 minutes and proceed according to the recipe.
- When shaping, moisten your hands with a small amount of oil. This will prevent the meat mixture from sticking to your hands.
- Form large patties wider than your desired size, and create a dimple in the middle by pressing the center with your thumb. Doing this will prevent them from forming a dome shape during cooking. You can also shape them into cocktail size German meatballs.
- Aside from serving them with salad, you can also serve frikadellen with mustard-smeared bread like brotchen rolls or rye bread to make German hamburgers.
How To Make Frikadellen German Meat Cakes
Enjoy the meaty combination of beef, pork, and veal in our frikadellen. The meaty flavor shines through with just the right amount of sweetness and heat from the onion and spices.
- Mix all the ingredients together in a large bowl.
Form the meat mixture into 6 flat equally-portioned patties and set aside.
Broil the patties in the oven until both sides are browned and the patties are cooked all the way through.
Serve Frikadellen over salad or bread and enjoy!
Commonly Asked Questions
What is frikadellen made of?
The core ingredients just revolve around these: ground meat (usually pork and beef), soaked bread, and spices. Other ingredients can be added to give a twist to this meat cake recipe such as sun-dried tomatoes and bacon bits. It will add moisture as it renders during cooking, best for when you’re using just pure ground beef. You can also try swapping the spices with curry powder, chili powder, cardamom, and paprika.
Can I make frikadellen in advance?
Yes! These frikadellen keep well in the freezer for up to three months. Have a big batch made in advance, form them into patties or meatballs, then lay them on parchment paper-lined baking sheets. When frozen, store them in ziplock bags or airtight containers. Simply thaw out the meat cakes in the fridge the night before you cook them.
What do you eat with frikadellen?
Frikadellen served German style always comes with side dishes like bread, salad, mashed potatoes, and gravy. These side dishes already make it a filling meal. But for special big dinners or when you just want to go extra, you can serve frikadellen with seafood spaghetti and German chocolate cake for dessert.
This quick and easy German frikadellen meat cake recipe is perfect for your next food adventure! Try making these as a twist for your regular hamburger patties. Enjoy eating this German favorite hot or cold with beer, salad, or bread on the side.
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!