How To Make Chile Con Queso
Enjoy your favorite chips and game-day snacks with this slightly spicy and creamy chile con queso. Its made with two kinds of cheese and jalapeno pepper.
- 3tbspunsalted butter
- 1small yellow onion,(about ¾ cup), diced
- 1large jalapeno pepper,finely diced
- 4garlic cloves,minced or pressed through a garlic press
- 3tbspall purpose flour
- 2cupshalf and half
- 4ozsharp cheddar cheese,(about 1 cup), grated
- 4ozpepper jack cheese,(about 1 cup), grated
- 2tbsptomatoes,finely diced, use only the flesh, no seeds or juice
- ¼tspred pepper flakes,crushed, optional, for more heat
- fresh cilantro,chopped, optional, for garnish
Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions and jalapeños and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until the onions are soft and translucent.
Add the garlic and cook 30 seconds more. Add the flour and cook, stirring constantly, for about 1 minute.
Add half and half to the pot and whisk until the flour dissolves. Bring to a simmer and cook for a few minutes until thickened.
Turn the heat down to low and gradually add the grated cheese, whisking and letting it melt, until all of the cheese is incorporated. Add the cumin, salt, and tomatoes.
Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary; for more heat, add the optional red pepper flakes.
Transfer to a bowl and serve hot with tortilla chips.
- If the dip seems too thick, you can thin it out with a bit more half and half or some milk.
- If the dip cools while you’re serving it, you can reheat it in the microwave; just stop and stir at short intervals so it reheats evenly.
- Calories: 981.14kcal
- Fat: 81.77g
- Saturated Fat: 50.11g
- Trans Fat: 1.37g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 22.33g
- Polyunsaturated Fat: 3.10g
- Carbohydrates: 27.03g
- Fiber: 1.57g
- Sugar: 13.13g
- Protein: 37.15g
- Cholesterol: 243.63mg
- Sodium: 1051.87mg
- Calcium: 1093.20mg
- Potassium: 570.12mg
- Iron: 1.70mg
- Vitamin A: 667.01µg
- Vitamin C: 19.55mg
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!