You’ll gobble up these yummy, marinated turnips garnished with sesame seeds and chives. It’s a nice vegetable side dish you can serve whenever you please. We made sure to make our turnip recipe easy to prepare without the hassle.
How To Make Asian Style Turnips with Ginger, Chives, and Garlic
Enjoy this sour yet addicting vegetable side dish that works alongside your favorite savory meats. It's the perfect balance to sweet glazed meats and other main dishes.
Prep: 15 mins
Resting Time: 14 hrs
Cook: 15 mins
Total: 14 hrs 30 mins
- 4 turnips, washed, trimmed and peeled
- ½ cup water
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 small fresh ginger, slices
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 scallions, cut into 1-inch lengths
- ¼ tsp. red chili flakes
- 1 tbsp chives, chopped
- 2 tsp sesame seeds, toasted
Slice the turnips into slices about ⅛ of an inch thick and place them on a cookie sheet.
- Sprinkle the slices with salt and allow them to stand for 2 hours.
- After 2 hours, rinse and drain the slices and set them aside.
- In a saucepan, combine the marinade ingredients and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Add the turnips and toss them with the marinade.
- Continue cooking until the liquid comes to a boil.
- Allow the turnips and the liquid to cool, then transfer the slices and marinade to a glass jar.
- Cover the jar and refrigerate up to 12 hours, shaking the jar occasionally, to allow the flavors to blend.
- Serve garnished with chives and sesame seeds.
- Sugar: 13g
- Calcium: 71mg
- Calories: 91kcal
- Carbohydrates: 18g
- Fat: 1g
- Fiber: 3g
- Iron: 1mg
- Potassium: 311mg
- Protein: 3g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Sodium: 504mg
- Vitamin A: 342IU
- Vitamin C: 30mg
Submit Your Own Recipe
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!