How To Make Fesenjoon
Fesenjoon is a Persian stew made with a hearty and savory combination of chicken, chickpeas, pomegranate molasses, and Persian rice.
- Heat a dutch oven over medium-low heat and toast the walnuts, stirring every couple minutes, until golden, roughly 10 minutes. At the same time, chop the onions and garlic. Cut the chicken ( if using) into 1 inch pieces and season with salt and pepper. Drain and rinse chickpeas if using.
- Set toasted walnuts on a plate to cool. Then place in a food processor and pulse until finely ground.
Wipe out the Dutch oven and drizzle with a little oil and sear the chicken until golden. Set aside. Using the same pan, heat oil and butter over medium heat. Add onions and cook until soft, golden and fragrant, which will take about 5 to 6 minutes.
Add garlic, cook for 3 to 4 more minutes. When onion garlic mixture is deeply golden, add the cinnamon stick, turmeric, cinnamon, nutmeg, cumin and orange zest, and toast for 1 to 2 more minutes.
- Add the broth, sraping up any browned bits. Add pomegranate molasses, maple syrup, and 1 ½ teaspoons salt, the seared chicken, ground walnuts and bring to a boil, stirring.
- Cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer 45 minutes, covered, stirring every 15 mins.
Uncover, add chickpeas, and continue simmering until the stew has thickened and reduced, 10 to 15 more minutes, stirring.
- Garnish with fresh pomegranate seeds and fresh parsley.
- Serve with saffron-infused basmati rice, quinoa, or Persian Rice.
- Sugar: 8g
- Calcium: 56mg
- Calories: 352kcal
- Carbohydrates: 15g
- Cholesterol: 111mg
- Fat: 24g
- Fiber: 2g
- Iron: 2mg
- Monounsaturated Fat: 11g
- Polyunsaturated Fat: 4g
- Potassium: 414mg
- Protein: 20g
- Saturated Fat: 6g
- Sodium: 675mg
- Trans Fat: 1g
- Vitamin A: 104IU
- Vitamin C: 7mg
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!
Dip, Sauce & Condiment