Most stews don’t use mushrooms, so this is a rather unique recipe. Dried mushrooms are actually a delicious addition to beef stew. Try this recipe and taste it for yourself!
How To Make Beef and Mushroom Stew
Have a bowl of this beef and mushroom stew recipe. Savory and rich beef stew with mushrooms for a hearty and filling meal. Best served on top of rice.
Prep: 30 mins
Cook: 3 hrs 10 mins
Total: 3 hrs 40 mins
- ½ cup porcini mushrooms, dried
- 1 cup water, warm
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 3 lb beef chuck, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 onions, large, finely chopped
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 pinch ground cloves
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- 2 cups beef broth
- Soak mushrooms in water for 30 minutes. Remove mushrooms and reserve the liquid.
- Rinse the mushrooms under cold running water. Coarsely chop the mushrooms.
- Strain the mushroom liquid through a paper coffee filter in a bowl. In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat.
- Pat the beef dry. Add the beef to the skillet and brown well on all sides, for about 10 minutes, transferring the pieces to a plate as they brown.
- Add the onions to the pot and cook for about 5 minutes, or until softened. Stir in the tomato paste. Add wine and bring the liquid to a simmer.
- Return the meat to the pan. Add the mushrooms and their liquid, bay leaves, cloves and salt and pepper to taste. Add the broth.
- Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally until the meat is tender and liquid is reduced. It should take 2½ to 3 hours. Once done, remove bay leaves and serve hot.
- Sugar: 2g
- Calcium: 54mg
- Calories: 553kcal
- Carbohydrates: 7g
- Cholesterol: 156mg
- Fat: 35g
- Fiber: 1g
- Iron: 5mg
- Potassium: 940mg
- Protein: 45g
- Saturated Fat: 13g
- Sodium: 527mg
- Vitamin A: 111IU
- Vitamin C: 4mg
Submit Your Own Recipe
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!