Italian sausage soup is one of the best Italian recipes around. It features a winning combination of sausage, pasta, and vegetables. To give it a more luscious texture, finish it off with fresh thyme and parmesan cheese!
This sausage soup is pure comfort food, giving your stomach that warm, fuzzy feeling. And while it simmers away on the stovetop, you might want to prepare this grilled cheese recipe as the perfect accompaniment. Italian soups are more enjoyable when served with gooey grilled cheese sandwiches, after all!
What’s in Our Italian Sausage Soup?
Many sausage soup recipes simmer for hours to get that rich viscosity. But this particular soup, albeit done in less than an hour, is equally rich and satisfying. The best part is that it’s easily customizable to suit your taste preference!
Here are the ingredients you need for this Italian sausage soup recipe:
- Italian sausage – You can use a sweet, mild, or spicy variety in this sausage soup recipe.
- Chicken broth – If you don’t have chicken broth, use vegetable or beef broth instead.
- Pasta – We used elbow pasta for this Italian soup with sausage. But you can also make it with tortellini pasta or with orzo.
- Parmesan cheese – For best results, grate the cheese yourself!
- Cannellini Beans – Don’t forget to drain and rinse before adding to the soup.
- Vegetables – For a fantastic taste and texture, we used a combination of tomatoes, celery, zucchini, carrots, and onions.
- Garlic – To impart a garlicky taste to this sausage soup recipe.
- Seasonings – To add depth of flavor, we seasoned this Italian sausage pasta soup with Italian seasoning. Then, we topped it with fresh thyme and red pepper flakes. If you don’t have Italian seasoning, then try using some worthy substitutes instead.
Simple to put together, this Italian soup recipe starts by cooking the Italian sausage until browned and crumbled. The vegetables, pasta, and broth are then added.
In a matter of a few minutes, you will be serving one of the best Italian sausage soup recipes! This sausage soup with pasta is cozy enough for a chilly night and easy enough for busy weeknights.
Tips for Making Italian Sausage Soup
Here are some tips on how to make this Italian sausage soup with pasta:
- Don’t have Italian sausage? No worries! You can go for any other ground sausage, such as ground pork, beef, chicken, or turkey sausage.
- Add more vegetables to amp up the flavor and texture! Sure, the classic combo of zucchini, celery, and carrots already makes this soup belly-filling. But sausage soup with kale and spinach is satisfying, too! Not to mention, the colorful blend of veggies makes the soup even more appealing.
- For a better-tasting sausage soup, make your own homemade chicken broth. We’ve said it before, and we’ll say it again: homemade chicken broth tastes much better than the store-bought ones!
- Swap out the elbow pasta for gluten-free pasta or diced cauliflower for a healthier version. Or, omit the pasta, and add more Italian sausages and vegetables to make a keto Italian sausage soup.
- Make your sausage soup thick and creamier by incorporating half-and-half or heavy cream. Or, try adding cornstarch slurry or roux for that luscious consistency.
- Spice up your sausage soup! If you want a spicy sausage soup, use spicy Italian sausage. Adding diced jalapeño and red pepper flakes also gives your soup some heat.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long is homemade sausage soup good for?
If stored in the fridge, homemade sausage soup can last up to four days. But, be sure to keep the soup in an airtight container. If you have any leftovers, you can also store them in the freezer.
If frozen, sausage soup is good for up to three months. When ready to serve, simply reheat using your microwave or stovetop.
Can you boil Italian sausage?
Yes, you can also boil Italian sausage. Place the sausages in a pot, add water or broth to cover the meat, then bring to a boil. Generally, it only takes 20 to 30 minutes to boil Italian sausages. Once boiled, drain the water. Then, sear the sausages until deliciously browned.
How To Make Italian Sausage Soup
Italian sausages, pasta, and vegetables are cooked in a meaty broth to make this hearty Italian sausage soup. Top it with thyme and cheese, and serve with crusty bread!
- Heat a heavy stock pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the Italian sausage, then sear until browned.
- Add the onions, carrots, and celery. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the zucchini and cook until the onions and celery are tender. Reduce the heat to low.
- Add the garlic and Italian seasoning. Cook for 1 minute while stirring constantly.
- Pour in the chicken broth, fire-roasted tomatoes, and cannellini beans. Bring the soup to a low boil.
- Add the elbow pasta to the stock pot. Reduce the heat to a simmer and continue cooking until the pasta is al dente.
- Season with salt and pepper. Adjust according to your taste.
- Garnish with fresh thyme, red pepper flakes, and shredded parmesan cheese. Serve warm, and enjoy!
- If you want a sausage soup with no pasta, feel free to replace the pasta with potatoes.
- Add tomato paste for that rich and thick texture.
- You can also use fresh tomatoes to deliver a sweet and rich tomato flavor to your soup.
- Sugar: 5g
- Calcium: 121mg
- Calories: 444kcal
- Carbohydrates: 38g
- Cholesterol: 61mg
- Fat: 25g
- Fiber: 5g
- Iron: 4mg
- Monounsaturated Fat: 11g
- Polyunsaturated Fat: 3g
- Potassium: 474mg
- Protein: 21g
- Saturated Fat: 9g
- Sodium: 1417mg
- Vitamin A: 3778IU
- Vitamin C: 12mg
ConclusionSoothe your tummy (and soul) with this filling Italian sausage soup. It's made with a mashup of Italian sausage, pasta, vegetables, and herbs. Top it with cheese and fresh herbs for the ultimate cold night dinner!
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!